Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_rgb_winners.thumb.jpg.76afad2f76e2775222463282012f8ea7.jpg

Doc

My new DIY ALT/AZ Mount a Panther Clone

Stu    17,496

One question Doc. Why the extended slots in a kind of rectangular shape? What do they do?

DAD2AA41-D500-4ECB-9C30-87741A2445D5.jpeg

knobby    2,669
1 hour ago, Stu said:

One question Doc. Why the extended slots in a kind of rectangular shape? What do they do?

DAD2AA41-D500-4ECB-9C30-87741A2445D5.jpeg

It allows the red dotted black screw to push the rectangular cut out against the axis to provide tension in a beautifully engineered manner :icon_biggrin:

Lovely bit of craftsmanship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Stu    17,496
57 minutes ago, knobby said:

It allows the red dotted black screw to push the rectangular cut out against the axis to provide tension in a beautifully engineered manner :icon_biggrin:

Lovely bit of craftsmanship.

Ahh, I see now. Thanks!

Yes, beautifully simple and very well engineered.

• Like 1

Doc    408
Posted (edited)

Yes exactly that I can put tension on the altitude movement with just a little turn of the handle, works perfectly.

But the best part of it is you can adjust it so that you have perfect balance, will be even better once I add counterweights.

Edited by Doc

Rusted    160

In the simplest terms the [partially] cut-out rectangle provides a little flexibility in the plane of the [very stiff] fork material.

The adjustment handle is placed at the far end of the lever formed by this partial, rectangular cut-out.

While the axis shaft is placed much nearer the fulcrum. [imaginary pivot point.]

So the handle can provide very gentle adjustment of friction at the pivot due to the increased leverage.

Imagine a crowbar: Small changes of pressure on the free end have major effects where you are lifting something really heavy.  

Even smaller changes of pressure on the free end allow fine adjustment of pressure at the "business end."

Meanwhile the force applied by the adjusting handle's fine screw thread provides even slower motion.

Which means even finer adjustment of applied pressure [and friction] at the axis.

Okay, I'm a complete pedant when it comes to explaining things. I can't help myself.  :rolleyes2:

• Like 1

Doc    408

I made the counterweights over the weekend, they are made from 5" diameter meehanite bar 1.5" thick. They weigh 4kg each and once fitted they balance the scope perfectly.

Here's a couple of photo's of the finished mount. The only thing left to do is sort out the encoders and drill and tap some M3 holes for the top hat to be secured.

I'll post more photo's and video in the members equipment section later.

giRfyt.jpg

03MyM5.jpg

• Like 3

8472    26

Top work as ever, Mick. 

Rusted    160

Excellent workmanship and design! Very impressive result!  :thumbsup:

Are the counterweights bare cast iron? Or have you put some kind of finish on them?

They look absolutely superb. If they can stay that way.

iPeace    3,029
34 minutes ago, Rusted said:

They look absolutely superb. If they can stay that way.

Would it be so bad if they Rusted? :grin:

• Haha 2

Doc    408
55 minutes ago, iPeace said:

Would it be so bad if they Rusted? :grin:

:laugh:

No they are just bare cast iron, it's been a few days and they haven't rusted yet.

• Like 2

Rusted    160

I'm a martyr to rust.  :blush:

• Haha 1