Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss.thumb.jpg.5b348d6a5e7f27bdcb79e9356b7fc03b.jpg

Hi all,

Thought I'd share the clip I designed to fit a Right Angle Finder to the polar scope on my Star Adventurer mount.

I designed it to work on my Neewer RA Finder but it could possibly work with similar ones (that have the removable adaptor plates for various camera types). My finder came with a few different adaptor plates and I chose the metal screw-together type which was labeled for use with the older Nikon F series cameras.

As you can see from the photos, this just screws into the printed clip allowing you to leave it in place on the Polar Scope but remove the RA Finder easily. It is best oriented with the clips at the top and bottom (rather than on the side).

I've made it available for download from Thingiverse, there's a printable version of the adaptor plate on there too (along with instructions and pics) should you need it.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2762334

SARAcomp01.JPG

SARAcomp02.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hi Punchy,

I've just recently bought the Neewer RA finder, in the hope of using it with the Star Adventurer.  This looks absolutely great!

After a bit of searching i've located a fairly local place that does 3d printing, hopefully be able to get it sorted.

Many thanks & good work! :icon_biggrin:

• Like 1

Excellent and many thanks.

Have been wanting to get the RA finder to save my legs and also make for better viewing.

Just need to find an on the line print service to get it made and then order the finder from Amazon......oh and wait for it finally become clear again.

• Like 1

On 25/01/2018 at 15:35, Shelster1973 said:

Excellent and many thanks.

On 25/01/2018 at 13:13, Space_Plane said:

Many thanks & good work! :icon_biggrin:

I hope to find it useful. Just so you know the 3D file has now been replaced with a more robust version (the photos show the original but the model is the latest one). 

Parts ordered from a local firm and should be dropped off to me on monday.

Went with a laser resin print for it.....bit pricey for the start up but should look quite good.  Will put some pics up when I get them too

• Like 1

Just had the print and also the right angled finder delivered today.

All set up and is an absolute godsend.

Did not need all the parts I had printed in the end as used the Nikon round adapter that comes with the Neweer Finder.

20180128_151845.thumb.jpg.e7080f99d7026e0037afb76a4b2291fc.jpg20180128_152657.thumb.jpg.0db560e8415b94cb9b4c422fcb4c4430.jpg20180128_152703.thumb.jpg.4636d87fb0ee6acdee2b80f4a9bcdc8c.jpg

Very many thanks again, is top drawer fab

• Like 4

I have recently discovered this person who makes these things at a very reasonable price.

http://www.astrokraken.fr/skywatcher-or-ioptron-type-polarscope-adapter-for-seagull-right-angle--a129918512

I am in the middle of ordering the combination set he does

http://www.astrokraken.fr/set-of-3-adapters-for-skywatcher-star-adventurer-a129517816

Great result, I have been using my RA camera finder for years, great piece of kit maybe FLO should consider selling these with adapters for any mount that has a polarscope, they are quite useful on straight through finders too.

Alan

I initially started out doing something very similar but in a much more crude way years ago by fitting a plumbing part called an end stop to a Nikon right angle finder and just push fitting it over the polar scope on my old NEQ6 - worked a treat. Now I use a QHY pole master camera. No more achy back or cold/wet knees :) 

6 minutes ago, catman161 said:

I initially started out doing something very similar but in a much more crude way years ago by fitting a plumbing part called an end stop to a Nikon right angle finder and just push fitting it over the polar scope on my old NEQ6 - worked a treat. Now I use a QHY pole master camera. No more achy back or cold/wet knees :) 

The pole master has certainly improved things but the simple RA finder is still useful for portable mounts like the Star Adventurer especially if running it unteathered etc.

Alan

Oh yeah, undoubtedly. My grab n go is alt/az and my other setup is permanently set up so polemaster is useful in that situation. Agree the RA addition if you’re out and about at dark sites is brilliant.  

• Like 1

Hi! Desperate to find a right angled viewer to my new star adventurer!  Way to old to be bending and breaking my neck, as it feels, never imagined I couldn’t buy an adapter! I saw this piece and thought it a great solution, no others available, but although I have a 3D shop near by I can not download your file .stl. Could I please download it in another format? Better still would pay for a clip!! Certainly looks the part. There seems to be a answer in the offing from TS Optics arriving next month, quite expensive though £99!

Download all files (it will come as a zip archive file). Then un-zip the file to your desktop, inside you will find the 2 stl files... 

I also bought the right angle finder for my Sirius mount (HEQ5) and found this thread for the 3D printed adapter :) Thanks for sharing, it works perfectly ! I printed all the pieces from the second file and glued them together. I just need to spray paint them black and I will be the star of the party next time I go out ;)

Piece1.thumb.jpg.2395aa9609fa84b79475c3fb6eeea994.jpg

Piece2.thumb.jpg.e3aa6b13dc4789986194ec8bd637fc14.jpg

Piece3.thumb.jpg.2a3bc86bc8d2e52130f8092e7a255a9b.jpg

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Mark Daniels
      Been looking for neat solution to taking small scope abroad using my stuff and not paying out for a dedicated set up. 
      Have a skywatcher finder which with a barlow and 90 * gives good results. I was looking at an Orion mini eq tabletop tripod but hard to get hold of. 
      Play a bit of music in a band and have a few microphone stands so got to work with a hack saw. 
      I used a mic holder as in photo they are about £3 and cut the holder part off and filed flat. Drilled hole through to accept large camera thread (£3 screw bolt)
      this allows shortened micstand to fit to the alt az mount. (Mic stand 15 of ebay. )
      the dovetail was expensive as i wanted green and got from germany £30 with couier the white finder bracket from tring harrisons £6
      so thats £60 but if i went for black dovetail less than £40  seeing i had mic stand already quite a cheap solition
      the stand is very stable and provided the telescope is moved clockwise when rotating freehand the threads stay tight  with the fine controls either direction works well
      overall wiegt is bit over 3 kg and will fit in a standard aluminium camera case 
      hope this if useful 
      Mark👍

• By Lachlan
      Hi everyone, 
      as the title suggests, I've noticed that the RA axis of my HEQ5 pro mount has some give. I don't notice it while the clutch is unlocked, but it's very obvious with a locked RA clutch. Any suggestions on what could be causing it/what adjustments need to be made? 
      Thanks 
    • By Ken Mitchell
      As the title says
      I've finally, after owning a 7nm Baader Ha filter for more than a half year, did my first imaging session in Ha.  My target was the Lagoon Nebula because the weekend before I captured 4.5 hours on it and wanted to see what difference it would make. It's also very bright so easy to locate and it helped my getting focus as well.
      Focus was kind of a challenge as I had to locate the nebula without the filter first ( the Star Adventurer has no GoTo), screw on the filter and take numerous amounts of test shots (max iso at 30sec) to finally get the focus right. Though I still think the focus was a bit off. For some reasons I had problems with the B-mask and focusing will have to do more tests in the future on this.
      That said and done I was ready to start clicking, used settings of iso 1600 and 180sec subs. This was what I saw on the back of the camera after 3 minutes.

Pretty exited! Just the fact that I had something showing up amazed me. Decided to keep the exposure at 3minutes and planned on getting 1 hour of data at least before calling it a night.

Quick info on the gear used here: 
      -Camera: self modded Nikon d90(Ha data), Nikon d610(RGb data)
      -Optics: TS-Optics Photoline 72mm f/6 FPL53+TSflat72
      -Mount: Skywatcher Star Adventurer
      -Guidescope: TS-Optics Optics 50 mm DeLuxe Mini 
      -Guidecamera:  ZWO ASI120MC-S
      -Filters: Baader 7nm 2" Ha 

Back on imaging. After 1hour and 18min I stopped the session, took 10 flats, 10 darks and 20 bias frames and called it a night.
      The day after loaded everything in DSS, imported the stack in Photoshop and did a little stretch on the red channel. This was the result (1hr 18min at iso 1600).

First there is so so much more data than I'd captured the weekend before with my unmodded Nikon d610 and almost x4 as much integration. That was a real excitement!
      Second is a question(s), the diagonal pattern you see is this walking noise? Will dithering remove these lines? and is it even possible to dither with the SA? I've seen the dithering option in PHD2 but not sure if the combination with the Sa works.
      So I've left the noise ,to be hopefully resolved in the future, and tried to combine the Ha with the previous captured RGB.
      The RGB data ,as said before, was captured using a full frame Nikon d610. Aligning the two was kind of a challenge but eventually with all the twisting and turning managed to get it almost perfect.
      This is the fully processed image from ONLY the RGB data the week before. 4.5hrs of data with the unmodded d610.

Combining the datasets I decided to re-edit the RGB set with just a curves and levels stretch and some minor tweaks in Adobe raw. Followed a simple tutorial of changing the red channel of the RGB set with the red channel of the Ha set and adding another Ha layer on top to use as a luminance layer. The result was a bit weird to be honest, green in the background and pretty ugly colors in the nebula. ( I didn't had the original to show so just now I made a quick alignment just to show more or less the results. 

Should it look like this? Hope to find out what caused this.
      Made some tweaks in the channel color mixer in Ps to get rid of the odd colors(in my eyes at least) and did more editing to get a final image. Besides some tweaks here and there I added an extra layer from the RGB set and used 'color' as blending mode.
      This is the result I came up with.

Apart from perfect alignment of both data sets and maybe a better color balance I'd have to say the image itself looks a lot cleaner and more pleasant to the eye.
      Though it seems the image is not as sharp as just the RGB image, maybe that's because it has less stars and it only appears to be more fuzzy?
      Hope to get some input and cc on my workflow and/or the images to improve my results.

Thank you,
      Ken Mitchell

PS. For those interested I've also did some imaging with the unmodded d610 + Ha filter to show the differences and if it is worth it to use a Ha filter with an unmodded dslr. 
      I'll see if I can make a separate thread for this.

• By Astrofriend
      I have used my Star Adventurer for a while now and is very satisfaid with it. But it could be improved and I have installed an angled viewfinder to the polar telescope, rebuilt the wedge, etc.
      But there is also the tripod, the one I have now is stable but very big, nothing that I could take with me when traveling. All photagraphy tripods I have looked at that is maximum 0.5 meter long folded look a bit weak or are very expensive. Now I have bought an used Manfrotto model 144, very stable but too long folded. This weekend I cut off the legs to make it shorter. I don't need very high tripod now when using the angled viewfinder.
      Here is my tripod project:
      http://www.astrofriend.eu/astronomy/projects/project-star-adventurer-tripod/01-project-star-adventurer-tripod.html
      /Lars
    • By Saj_37uk
      Looking for the 2" low profile extension tube that is provided with most of the skywatcher scopes. I have a used 190MN that didn't come with the extension tube and need it to get accurate focus. 

I believe Orion scopes may have one too.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.