Narrowband

PunchyPariah

Hi all,

Thought I'd share the clip I designed to fit a Right Angle Finder to the polar scope on my Star Adventurer mount.

I designed it to work on my Neewer RA Finder but it could possibly work with similar ones (that have the removable adaptor plates for various camera types). My finder came with a few different adaptor plates and I chose the metal screw-together type which was labeled for use with the older Nikon F series cameras.

As you can see from the photos, this just screws into the printed clip allowing you to leave it in place on the Polar Scope but remove the RA Finder easily. It is best oriented with the clips at the top and bottom (rather than on the side).

I've made it available for download from Thingiverse, there's a printable version of the adaptor plate on there too (along with instructions and pics) should you need it.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2762334

SARAcomp01.JPG

SARAcomp02.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hi Punchy,

I've just recently bought the Neewer RA finder, in the hope of using it with the Star Adventurer.  This looks absolutely great!

After a bit of searching i've located a fairly local place that does 3d printing, hopefully be able to get it sorted.

Many thanks & good work! :icon_biggrin:

• Like 1

Excellent and many thanks.

Have been wanting to get the RA finder to save my legs and also make for better viewing.

Just need to find an on the line print service to get it made and then order the finder from Amazon......oh and wait for it finally become clear again.

• Like 1

On 25/01/2018 at 15:35, Shelster1973 said:

Excellent and many thanks.

On 25/01/2018 at 13:13, Space_Plane said:

Many thanks & good work! :icon_biggrin:

I hope to find it useful. Just so you know the 3D file has now been replaced with a more robust version (the photos show the original but the model is the latest one). 

Just had the print and also the right angled finder delivered today.

All set up and is an absolute godsend.

Did not need all the parts I had printed in the end as used the Nikon round adapter that comes with the Neweer Finder.

20180128_151845.thumb.jpg.e7080f99d7026e0037afb76a4b2291fc.jpg20180128_152657.thumb.jpg.0db560e8415b94cb9b4c422fcb4c4430.jpg20180128_152703.thumb.jpg.4636d87fb0ee6acdee2b80f4a9bcdc8c.jpg

Very many thanks again, is top drawer fab

• Like 4

I have recently discovered this person who makes these things at a very reasonable price.

http://www.astrokraken.fr/skywatcher-or-ioptron-type-polarscope-adapter-for-seagull-right-angle--a129918512

I am in the middle of ordering the combination set he does

http://www.astrokraken.fr/set-of-3-adapters-for-skywatcher-star-adventurer-a129517816

Great result, I have been using my RA camera finder for years, great piece of kit maybe FLO should consider selling these with adapters for any mount that has a polarscope, they are quite useful on straight through finders too.

Alan

I initially started out doing something very similar but in a much more crude way years ago by fitting a plumbing part called an end stop to a Nikon right angle finder and just push fitting it over the polar scope on my old NEQ6 - worked a treat. Now I use a QHY pole master camera. No more achy back or cold/wet knees :) 

6 minutes ago, catman161 said:

I initially started out doing something very similar but in a much more crude way years ago by fitting a plumbing part called an end stop to a Nikon right angle finder and just push fitting it over the polar scope on my old NEQ6 - worked a treat. Now I use a QHY pole master camera. No more achy back or cold/wet knees :) 

The pole master has certainly improved things but the simple RA finder is still useful for portable mounts like the Star Adventurer especially if running it unteathered etc.

Alan

• 7 months later...

Hi! Desperate to find a right angled viewer to my new star adventurer!  Way to old to be bending and breaking my neck, as it feels, never imagined I couldn’t buy an adapter! I saw this piece and thought it a great solution, no others available, but although I have a 3D shop near by I can not download your file .stl. Could I please download it in another format? Better still would pay for a clip!! Certainly looks the part. There seems to be a answer in the offing from TS Optics arriving next month, quite expensive though £99!

• 5 months later...

I also bought the right angle finder for my Sirius mount (HEQ5) and found this thread for the 3D printed adapter :) Thanks for sharing, it works perfectly ! I printed all the pieces from the second file and glued them together. I just need to spray paint them black and I will be the star of the party next time I go out ;)

Piece1.thumb.jpg.2395aa9609fa84b79475c3fb6eeea994.jpg

Piece2.thumb.jpg.e3aa6b13dc4789986194ec8bd637fc14.jpg

Piece3.thumb.jpg.2a3bc86bc8d2e52130f8092e7a255a9b.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I set about solving the same problem. Mine is a simple interference fit with the polar scope and I can easily swap it between my two mounts each time. It also fits my finder for the rest of the night! It’s not on Thingiverse but I’ll put it there if there is any interest in the STL. 

This was part of the justification for buying a 3d printer: a right angle finder for a camera is about £30, but for a telescope it’s £90 and the only difference is the adapter that attaches it! The rest of the justification was the automatic focuser for my SpaceCat, which cost me £60 instead of €250 (although, in fairness, it doesn’t interface with ASCOM). 

30030AB8-F5C0-42B4-B92B-1EE91C5B5D15.jpeg

7A6D4567-3FE1-4409-922A-9BC040BE39BB.jpeg

88277FB5-9E1F-471A-A692-87C4D10390FE.jpeg

Edited by jif001