Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Thoughts On This Telescope?

so i already have a Vixen A80Mf and i love it! but im also looking at something like the Orion 8944 SkyQuest XT6 Classic Dobsonian Telescope for deep space viewing. im also looking at it since its under $300, i'll like to get your guys thought on that scope if it would be good for deep space or if i should go for other scope thx. 

71eNJpKjMZL._SL1500_.thumb.jpg.c0fb6aa8dcb8fb7901bc59f3a877b236.jpg

+1 for the 8". The tube is as near as dammit the same length as the 6" tube, so it's no more difficult to store or transport. (And, if you get the 6", I'll give it 6 months max before you start wishing for something with more aperture) :grin:

If money is an issue then go for 2nd hand.

2nd hand astronomy equipment tends to be very well looked after on the whole & I've bought plenty of gear with no issues.

I personally use UK Astro Buy & Sell (many members here wold also recommend it) I can't find a US version (I'm assuming your from the USA? ) but here's a link to the Canadian version. 

http://www.astrobuysell.com

Steve

A 6" or 8" Dob would be good for deep space objects and is also relatively cheap.  What some people don't want to mention is that without GoTo (which would roughly triple the price) or Intelliscope it will be difficult to locate any faint objects unless you are extremely familiar with the night sky.

The 6 inch looks like good focal length, so will give good moon and planet viewing. Also easier collimation.

DSOs need 8 inch aperture as a starting point, though the 6 inch will show you incredibly more detail than an 80mm.

I wish Orion UK made dobs with black tubes instead of white for their VX range. 

Although I agree goto makes life easier ,I personally think it's a bad idea for a beginner to use it.

Finding objects yourself is much more satisfying & the only way to become familiar with the night sky. Many times when I was starting out I'd be looking for a certain target & during the search I'd come across an unfamiliar object & realise I'd spotted galaxy 'x' or nebula 'y'.

Learning to star hop & to read paper star charts should be the first thing a beginner should do & although frustrating at times it starts to all come together in the end.

Call me old fashioned  but I really can't see the fun in pressing a button & instantly been transported to the target of choice. Once you've got a couple of the harder targets under your belt & recognise  what to look for it becomes much much easier.

Steve

I find accurate GoTo useful if, for example, I am trying to image something I can't see. Most cheap GoTo isn't that accurate and I largely agree with @nephilim - also you don't need 8" for DSOs (but it helps - I can quite happily spend an hour or so in, for example, the Virgo-Coma cluster with my 16x70 binos.

Most used kit is good, because most astronomers love their hobby and their kit (but, as ever, caveat emptor), and can save you lots of lucre.

3 hours ago, BinocularSky said:

I find accurate GoTo useful if, for example, I am trying to image something I can't see. Most cheap GoTo isn't that accurate and I largely agree with @nephilim - also you don't need 8" for DSOs (but it helps - I can quite happily spend an hour or so in, for example, the Virgo-Coma cluster with my 16x70 binos.

Most used kit is good, because most astronomers love their hobby and their kit (but, as ever, caveat emptor), and can save you lots of lucre.

Fully agree with you about imagining & using goto. I don't image yet but I'm in the process of saving for a HEQ5 & Skywatcher 80ED & I'll definately be using the mounts goto feature when searching for faint fuzzies .

I do think though that finding your own way around the night sky without goto is very beneficial for a beginner.

Steve

10 hours ago, TankBall said:

i want to get a 8in but i dont think my mother would be willing to get me other $400+ scope. i wonder if i could get one used

Don't worry if the 8" isn't practical for now, as pleasing your mum is vitally important also! A 6" scope is an excellent deep sky scope and will keep you thrilled for decades if need be. You don't need a large aperture to enjoy deep sky and there are many wonderful books proving the fact. I only possess one telescope and its aperture is a mere 100mm (3.9"), yet I enjoy observing and sketching deep sky objects with my small aperture scope, and get some very pleasing results. Go for the 6" and learn to observe, not just look as many do! If you spend time at the eyepiece, shielding your eyes from stray light by using a dark hood or blanket, you'll attain true dark adaption and see many amazing things! :icon_cyclops_ani:

Here are a few things a 100mm scope can show and a 150mm will show much more! 

2018-01-18 08.42.05.jpg

2018-01-07 23.39.53.jpg

2018-01-04 22.33.02.jpg

584749d41417d_2016-11-2713_28_58.jpg.14fc06c0b6ad8826d50facac67014ecd.jpg.986f7b7a2effdf3da9cef9352a8742d4.jpg

2017-07-18 19.16.53.jpg

2017-07-17 09.13.23.jpg

Archived