Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQ5 PRO Legs Doing The Spider

Mr_Yasmine

So over a week ago, i recently got my EQ5 + a GCO 6" Ritchey-Chrétien...    as of two days ago, the EQ5's legs have decided to do what i call "Spidering" Completely going their seperate ways at a near 50 degree angle sometimes if i attempt to stand it straight, it was not doing this when i got it and i cannot find much about it, even with the assembly that keeps the legs in screwed tight + the bolts on the legs also tight, what on earth is possibly causing this to happen? Bought from a well known Australian Astro Retailer known as "Bintel" - This has become stressful now as all imaging sessions do not last longer than 10 seconds due to the leg drifting out destroying polar alignment.

Hello and welcome to the forum.

The design of the top leg casting of the steel EQ5 tripod legs should prevent the leg from opening beyond a certain point. I have seen an instance where the leg was inserted the wrong way around into the tripod hub and then the design would not stop the leg from splaying completely.

Could you post a photo of your tripod and hub - perhaps that would help diagnose the problem ?

It seems i Did accidentally put that locking knob on upsidedown (The one on the shaft in the middle holding the tray in) although the legs are still attempting to scurry away, i'm sorry if i'm misunderstanding as i'm a little tired, can you circle the "Locking knobs" for me? as you say there are more than 1 :) 

26 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

The locking knobs on the legs should be facing outwards.  :icon_biggrin:

Depends on the tripod Peter. Pic one is an EQ5 / HEQ5. Pic two is the CG5. Pic three is the top of an EQ5 / HEQ5:

SG1S3349.JPG

classifieds-47340-0-67923100-1457805407.jpg

SG1S3351.JPG

Ahhh interesting, i see what they are now, had a brainfart, they're quite tight restricting the legs movement more in an attempt for stability but as you said there is a mechanism that stops the legs from opening past a certain point? there was one originally and it worked very very well, even on my slippery house floor but as of the past two days it no longer works on all 3 legs which has allowed the legs to Spread right out.. Ah so interesting yet infuriating :)

I bought a brand new HEQ5 about 6 weeks ago.  The tripod which came with it was doing the exact same thing as yours by the sounds of it.   On closer inspection, there is a small lug on the top casting which is supposed to stop the legs over expanding.. Well, there was on 2 on the legs, on the other it was not enoough to stop the leg from over spreading.    And, as you say it ruins any alignment you have done.   Unfortunatly this was not the only problem i had with the mount, so i rejected it, had it sent back and got a full refund.

I was pretty disappointed as i thought it woudl be the same quality as my NEQ6.   Seems like QC might have taken a day off with the one i bought!

THis is what i am refering to

Capture.JPG

Aidan my mate, you appear to be onto something, apon closer inspection in my photos and from memory, there seems to be a heavy fault or ABSENCE of these lugs, i wonder if i got a lemon? (faulty off the line) if so i'm quite dissapointed but also happy that i'm positive you just helped me figure it out, tomorrow when i inspect it much closer as its currently 4 AM i'll report back with closer pictures of them

i'm quite positive the legs are in the correct way, after alot of google images and this mount being used the Flat end is always on the up end... i've just went to check on the legs individually and only two legs are doing this, the good one contacts the tripod correctly and stops with no wiggle room, but the other two just slide right out, i also noticed the two legs that are doing this have ugly looking gashes as seen here https://imgur.com/a/7MfqV I have no idea how the damage to the NORTH leg could of been done by me...

• 2 months later...

Mr_Yazmine   Did you mange to get your mount issues resolved?

I've just unboxed mine and withing 10 mins I started seeing one of the legs splaying out.

I've informed Skywatcher and they are reviewing my problem.

You can see from the picture the tiny surface area that scuffed off.

How this little lug was supposed to support the scope I'll never know. looks like a design or manufacturing fault to me.

20180405_152311.jpg

Odd fault. I have an EQ-5 tripod and a AZ4 tripod (looks the same) which I have just checked.  On all 6 legs the stop lug looks quite small, around 20mm (as in the pics above) x about 3mm but stops the leg firmly and there is no sign of damage or paint chipping. 

I'd suspect either the lug manufacture, or overstress, as the leverage generated by the long leg and compact head pivot assembly must be capable of generating high forces at the stop lug.

• 6 months later...

Just received my HEQ5 and it has this same issue.  On one leg, the locking lug at the top is too small (or the leg is mounted lower than the other two) and rotates past the locking position (taking the paint off in the process) allowing the tripod to lean in that direction.  I have contacted my supplier and they have passed the information to SkyWatcher  (washed their hands of my problem?) and now I am waiting to see what happens.

Can't describe how disappointing this is, I have wanted to get into astronomy for years and have just worked up the courage to spend my hard earned cash, only to receive product that is not fit for purpose (at quite considerable expense for someone on my meagre income) ? and the only stars I can see are in the ****** swear words I type to try to relieve my frustration. Obviously very poor quality control at Synta.

• 3 months later...

Got the same issue with mine - bought in July last year, and one leg now splayed out (North leg).

Contacted FLO, so we'll see what they can do.

Not much of a lug to stop the leg to be honest (- not fit for purpose is the thought that comes to mind).

Archived