Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

buzz

Mount recommendations under £1000 for imaging?

This is not a newbie question but a genuine one, trying to find a sensible mount recommendation around £1000 for imaging. I already have an Avalon Linear and Paramount but I'm not up to date with the less expensive models. I'm trying to put a system together for a strict budget and which is going to be usable. I bought a GEM last year, which will remain nameless, which had a PE of 80" pk-pk. A replacement worm increased that to 110 and a replacement mount was worse still. It went back. I really don't want another horror story.

I did consider Fornax and Astrotrac but once you add all the bits together, the price is close to a GEM. The load will be no more than a medium refractor and small guidescope.

Any suggestions (it doesn't have to be new)?

I'm not aware of anything much having changed in this segment of the market. I'd probably go for an HEQ5. The native PE is bad chez Slywatcher but it tends to guide out well.

Olly

You could most likely pick up a second hand AZEQ6 GT (like i did) for around the £1k mark...if your patient though.

thanks - like everyone else I started with a NEQ6  - I'm assuming the belt-driven ones have less backlash?

If your considering second hand then a neq6 £600-700 and for about £100 you can buy and fit a belt kit, at the same time you can give it a service and tune up. May even have enough left for a well made wedge. I think the mk111 wedge is just about to be replaced with a new design.

Wot spillage said,you might get one that’s already been modded.

Edited by triton1