Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_2018_sp_banner.thumb.jpg.a4fa178de7d36660e48f7eb1205319eb.jpg

Grant

SGL Mini Spring Star Party

This will be fun!!

😀

Just like that here at the roslington star party

891F3A15-8524-4AFF-A9C4-17A40ADA3F20.jpeg

8200A276-AE1D-4572-AB01-DEE36A6A5DFA.jpeg

• Like 3

now that's a proper star party :icescream:

• Like 1

IMG_0677.JPG.a9880218ed68aab1e6fa19b6418cfca0.JPGI’m particularly looking forward to some solar imaging today but I might have to invoke backlight compensation........

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Thought I’d packed everything but I forgot the skis

1C2417F3-68F4-4717-B87C-91E44559EC37.thumb.jpeg.ef03743325a00597f90a0e4a2b467dba.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)

Commiserations, folks. Up here in Central Scotland, we've had overnight flurries since late evening giving us about two inches of snow lying. Hate to think what it's like nearer the two amber zones on the east coast of England that were forecast.

So, if I'm reading this right, there's the SGL mini party, plus Roslington on this weekend where the pics are posted from. Plus the Galloway party starts tomorrow! Anyone elsewhere from those three braving the wilds?

Edited by trynda1701

Oh dear, that's pretty dire.  I already had a message from Davey T telling me he was sitting in snow.

I was due to go to an Astro camp this weekend with my local society but we have a good arrangement with the owner that in the winter months (i.e.not peak season), we don't have to pay if we cancel (we generally go monthly if the weather is good enough) so its good out of season trade for him.  

So we cancelled this weekend when we saw the forecast.  

Feel for you all.

Carole 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, trynda1701 said:

So, if I'm reading this right, there's the SGL mini party, plus Roslington on this weekend where the pics are posted from. Plus the Galloway party starts tomorrow! Anyone elsewhere from those three braving the wilds?

I went to a Suffolk star party on Thursday afternoon. The night was cloudy.  Friday was a nice sunny day but by about 5pm it arrived. Mist and heavy cloud came in from the east, with its associated wind chill. It began to snow about 11pm. Although by Saturday morning the snow wasn’t as thick as I expected. Was going to stay till Sunday but with more snow forecast I  came home Saturday. 

3CBDFD1C-6ED3-4C39-9F64-0D777169CC6C.jpeg

There was also South Wales astronomy group in Brecon. I was due to go but wimped out based on the weather forecast 😱

• Like 1

I am really disappointed for All the people who have made the effort to attend the various SP recently, only to be defeated by the weather.

Good on ya All!

• Like 2

We went to mini SGL star party  had a good time but left Saturday and escaped but went in to two snow storms on the way back

56 minutes ago, Stephen Green said:

We went to mini SGL star party  had a good time but left Saturday and escaped but went in to two snow storms on the way back

It was nice to see you again Stephen and I'm glad that you both got home safely.

I left today and was fortunate that the roads were clear despite the 4" of snow on the ground.

It was great to see all of you at Sixpenny Handley and I had an enjoyable weekend despite the lack of clear skies.

Have a safe journey home those of you left.

Ade

At least it didn’t take long to pack the Astro  gear away!

Those that made it to any star party (and back) this weekend, beat the weather⛄️❄️☃️❄️🥃🍷🍾

Neil saw a star at about 3am this morning at Roliston whilst making a necessary dash across the campsite.

Paul

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

SGL  mini was fun but I am glad I left when i did, took me 6 hours to get home with the winds and snow :lol: 

Sorry you all had such rotten weather - I drove to Manchester and back instead and the weather up there was mildy errr......interesting too, but not as bad as some folks had.

• Like 1

Just got back from snowy Dorset to not so snowy Kent, only saw the stars briefly but had a good time, got inebriated on local Cranbourne Chase cider and had a couple of nice meals in the camp site restaurant, looking forward to next year.

Dave

Well, back home and defrosted!!

Great to see Grant, MikeP, Steppenwolf, Velvet, Astrognome (who I think is still there!) , Davey-T, Stephen Green and AdeKing.

Meet-ups are always fun, but blimey, that was chilly!! Still, can now claim to have camped in all weathers and survived!! :D

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Just got back from snowy Dorset to not so snowy Kent, only saw the stars briefly but had a good time, got inebriated on local Cranbourne Chase cider and had a couple of nice meals in the camp site restaurant, looking forward to next year.

Dave

Sorry we didn’t get to say goodbye, we must have been out getting extra provisions when you left.

Still here, it’s still very cold but the snow has melted sufficiently to hopefully allow us to tow the outfit out of the field in the morning!

Great to see you all even if there wasn’t much astronomy going on!

There was a gorgeous sunset tonight and now the relatively new Mooon is out - what a lovely end to the day!

14CF8547-C235-4D5A-AFC9-776CBC9419FB.thumb.jpeg.a83585005a127cbd510890ffc6954232.jpeg

• Like 4

Typical :grin:

Dave

48 minutes ago, steppenwolf said:

Still here, it’s still very cold but the snow has melted sufficiently to hopefully allow us to tow the outfit out of the field in the morning!

Great to see you all even if there wasn’t much astronomy going on!

There was a gorgeous sunset tonight and now the relatively new Mooon is out - what a lovely end to the day!

14CF8547-C235-4D5A-AFC9-776CBC9419FB.thumb.jpeg.a83585005a127cbd510890ffc6954232.jpeg

Steve I hope you viewed Venus and Mercury as well.

1 hour ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Steve I hope you viewed Venus and Mercury as well.

Hi Mark,

Venus yes but not Mercury .....

We got home OK from mini SGL but did go through two snow storms on the way back the roads were OK