Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SGL Mini Spring Star Party

Grant

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Commiserations, folks. Up here in Central Scotland, we've had overnight flurries since late evening giving us about two inches of snow lying. Hate to think what it's like nearer the two amber zones on the east coast of England that were forecast.

So, if I'm reading this right, there's the SGL mini party, plus Roslington on this weekend where the pics are posted from. Plus the Galloway party starts tomorrow! Anyone elsewhere from those three braving the wilds?

Oh dear, that's pretty dire.  I already had a message from Davey T telling me he was sitting in snow.

I was due to go to an Astro camp this weekend with my local society but we have a good arrangement with the owner that in the winter months (i.e.not peak season), we don't have to pay if we cancel (we generally go monthly if the weather is good enough) so its good out of season trade for him.  

So we cancelled this weekend when we saw the forecast.  

Feel for you all.

Carole 

1 hour ago, trynda1701 said:

So, if I'm reading this right, there's the SGL mini party, plus Roslington on this weekend where the pics are posted from. Plus the Galloway party starts tomorrow! Anyone elsewhere from those three braving the wilds?

I went to a Suffolk star party on Thursday afternoon. The night was cloudy.  Friday was a nice sunny day but by about 5pm it arrived. Mist and heavy cloud came in from the east, with its associated wind chill. It began to snow about 11pm. Although by Saturday morning the snow wasn’t as thick as I expected. Was going to stay till Sunday but with more snow forecast I  came home Saturday. 

3CBDFD1C-6ED3-4C39-9F64-0D777169CC6C.jpeg

56 minutes ago, Stephen Green said:

We went to mini SGL star party  had a good time but left Saturday and escaped but went in to two snow storms on the way back

It was nice to see you again Stephen and I'm glad that you both got home safely.

I left today and was fortunate that the roads were clear despite the 4" of snow on the ground.

It was great to see all of you at Sixpenny Handley and I had an enjoyable weekend despite the lack of clear skies.

Have a safe journey home those of you left.

Ade

At least it didn’t take long to pack the Astro  gear away!

Those that made it to any star party (and back) this weekend, beat the weather⛄️❄️☃️❄️???

Neil saw a star at about 3am this morning at Roliston whilst making a necessary dash across the campsite.

Paul

Sorry you all had such rotten weather - I drove to Manchester and back instead and the weather up there was mildy errr......interesting too, but not as bad as some folks had.

Just got back from snowy Dorset to not so snowy Kent, only saw the stars briefly but had a good time, got inebriated on local Cranbourne Chase cider and had a couple of nice meals in the camp site restaurant, looking forward to next year.

Dave

Well, back home and defrosted!!

Great to see Grant, MikeP, Steppenwolf, Velvet, Astrognome (who I think is still there!) , Davey-T, Stephen Green and AdeKing.

Meet-ups are always fun, but blimey, that was chilly!! Still, can now claim to have camped in all weathers and survived!! :D

2 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Just got back from snowy Dorset to not so snowy Kent, only saw the stars briefly but had a good time, got inebriated on local Cranbourne Chase cider and had a couple of nice meals in the camp site restaurant, looking forward to next year.

Dave

Sorry we didn’t get to say goodbye, we must have been out getting extra provisions when you left.

Still here, it’s still very cold but the snow has melted sufficiently to hopefully allow us to tow the outfit out of the field in the morning!

Great to see you all even if there wasn’t much astronomy going on!

There was a gorgeous sunset tonight and now the relatively new Mooon is out - what a lovely end to the day!

14CF8547-C235-4D5A-AFC9-776CBC9419FB.thumb.jpeg.a83585005a127cbd510890ffc6954232.jpeg

48 minutes ago, steppenwolf said:

Still here, it’s still very cold but the snow has melted sufficiently to hopefully allow us to tow the outfit out of the field in the morning!

Great to see you all even if there wasn’t much astronomy going on!

There was a gorgeous sunset tonight and now the relatively new Mooon is out - what a lovely end to the day!

14CF8547-C235-4D5A-AFC9-776CBC9419FB.thumb.jpeg.a83585005a127cbd510890ffc6954232.jpeg

Steve I hope you viewed Venus and Mercury as well.

Archived