Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Query about Skytee 2

osbourne one-nil

My ongoing quest for the right mount for my scopes (OOUk 6" f8 & Vixen Ed103s) continues. 

I know the Sky-Tee 2 carries two scopes but can they both be placed in the end if the axis, or does one have to go on the top saddle? I don't know why this concerns me but it doesn't look as stable to me, although I'm sure it's fine. 

I do need help; I've even asked Discounts in the US to price up a DM-4 for me! 

In the standard retail configuration the second scope sits on a top bracket. However there have been some very effective mods done to place it on the other end - as well as a third scope on top. Query johninderby and skytee and you should find some pics of the fabulous mods he did with his mount. :)

Yes they can on the new product, both ends are now tapped for a clamp to be fitted.
Skywatcher however supply two clamps intended for one on side, one on top.  
The clamps are documented as not very good, I fitted ADM at start.

IMG_0308.thumb.JPG.566e780b4bcb90d196e3e9866a47a16d.JPG

IMG_0313.thumb.JPG.eba2977d9302315f3749bd2097cad78e.JPG

This is the end without a clamp on my one.
I bought my one late last year.

Now no need for the old fix at all.

Thanks - for the price, I think it makes sense to get hold of one of these first, see how I like it and if I don't, then think about something top of the range, like an Ayo or Discmount.

Do you think the supplied saddles are good enough now then? I'd need a pillar I think if I'm going to put my Newt on it. 

EDIT - just re-read your post Alan; I think I need to factor in a couple of ADM clamps too then, but they'd be usable on other mounts so that's ok. 

I would not trust the stock saddles with anything expensive or heavier than an ST80 as they are delivered :rolleyes2:

There is a way to modify them so that they are more secure though - replace the stock tension knobs with something that is not made of soft alloy. The bolt that they screw onto is M6 and hard steel so it quickly wears out the threading in the stock soft alloy tension knob meaning that the clamp cannot be securely tightened on a dovetail bar.

Good to see that they are threading the other side to take a clamp now but it's a pity that they have not upgraded the stock saddles - they are a weaker link on the mount IMHO.

This photo is of my old Meade AR6 on a new stock Skytee II. As I took the scope off the mount after taking the photo the stock clamp tension knob literally popped off the steel bolt after I'd just loosened it one turn. The thread in the knob was shredded and a small pile of alloy shavings dropped out of the thread hole. My scope could have so easily ended up on the patio :shocked:

ar6stee.jpg

"Plus one" re. ADM saddles etc. Sadly, I sold a pillar extension, but like @John mount,
would probably find it useful now! If you didn't quite line up two scopes perfectly with
added holes / need EXTRA accuracy, a Skywatcher "Guide Scope Mount" can be useful! ;)

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/guide-cameras/skywatcher-guidescope-mount.html

In principal you could keep on adding ever more telescopes (OK, Not really... But lol)
I do casually wonder if anyone has ever found a source of extra  "Weight Bars"? ISTR
they are the same as the bar used on the EQ3-2? They have an M18(?) thread, IIRC... :)

In respect to the dual saddle, are its dove bar retaining bolt heads stronger than the SW OE ones with the puck saddles fitted? Or should I go to my local Wickes & buy some steel bolts?

Incidentally, has anyone upgraded their OE bar for a better quality &/or longer one to whatever their scope came with?

Archived