Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_2019_sp_banner.thumb.jpg.a0ff260c05b90dead5c594e9b4ee9fd0.jpg

Placed an order for the FC-100DC today with Rother Valley Optics, lead time is about two weeks.

Avtar

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, avtaram said:

Placed an order for the FC-100DC today with Rother Valley Optics, lead time is about two weeks.

Avtar

See what happens when you read this stuff! :thumbsup:

Did you order the clamshell and 30mm finder? 

You can also get the short Mewlon dovetail plate, a 2"" Tak adapter and the Tak microfocuser - just incase you've any money left! :biggrin:

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

See what happens when you read this stuff! :thumbsup:

Did you order the clamshell and 30mm finder? 

You can also get the short Mewlon dovetail plate, a 2"" Tak adapter and the Tak microfocuser - just incase you've any money left! :biggrin:

Mike, I started saving up for a tak after I read your first report so it's you I have to thank for emtying my wallet :icon_biggrin:.

I ordered the clamshell but not the finder as I prefer the red dot type finders, thinking of getting the Baader or the WO one.

I already have a load of dovetails which I will try first, I only use 1.25" eyepieces ( visual only, do some sketching) so won't need the 2" adapter, might get the microfocuser later on if I really need it.

I have the AZ5 mount with pillar mounted on an aluminium tripod from an AZ3 which seems pretty sturdy but may get the AZgti later on.

Avtar

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was originally going to wait until June when it's my big birthday. But having decided on a DL, with its limited production number at time of buying, and also an eye on retail price economics and taxes, I decided to buy now rather than wait and hope.

Had I stuck with my original DF choice, I would have waited happily.

If Takahasi make a (say) 110 TOA, at (say) TSA 120 price, that would, be very tempting.

3 hours ago, 25585 said:

I was originally going to wait until June when it's my big birthday. But having decided on a DL, with its limited production number at time of buying, and also an eye on retail price economics and taxes, I decided to buy now rather than wait and hope.

Had I stuck with my original DF choice, I would have waited happily.

If Takahasi make a (say) 110 TOA, at (say) TSA 120 price, that would, be very tempting.

Here's a prediction for you!

Tak are going to empty all our wallets on these FC100D fluorites, then they will unleash a 125mm version/versions! ???££££££££££££££££££££££££££......!

But a truly killer scope!!

5a737312b3827_2018-02-0120_09_50.thumb.jpg.4b80e119ea307eba1f32e860dc61d58a.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

Tak are going to empty all our wallets on these FC100D fluorites, then they will unleash a 125mm version/versions! ???££££££££££££££££££££££££££......!

Yes, that's going to ruin me, at least financially! A 125/1200mm Fluorite doublet that has the same color correction as the FC-100DF. . .

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

SpecTakular  

But these chaps on this post have only just got their 100mm. 

Putting eye candy like this up is going to lead to Taktation for them?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Timebandit said:

SpecTakular  

But these chaps on this post have only just got their 100mm. 

Putting eye candy like this up is going to lead to Taktation for them?

Nice GEM with setting circles in the photo. ?

Didn't the FS128 (Frauhofer) succeed the FC125, which must have been a succession of the original FC100.

History repeats itself.... so a 125 is likely. Maybe double crystalline fluoride lenses, with a specially designed FT focuser as OE. Hopefully a sliding dew shield for portability and to avoid cross threading.

???????????????

• Like 1

16 hours ago, avtaram said:

Avtar

???? x FC100DC
???? x FC100DF
???? x FC100DL
? x FC76DS
? x TSA120
? x TSA102
?? x FS102
? x FS120
??? x FS60CB
? x FSQ85
? x TOA-150B
???x FS128
?? ???x Doberman 

Ok I have added your FC. ?
Edited by Pig
  • Like 2

OK. I think its officially recognised now that Tak Frac Fever has a strong presence on this forum among frac fans.

The other main strain is Sky Watcherosis.

Vixenitis, Tele Vueopia (more prevalent among eye piece owners) and some other strains are also recognised as infectious.

Symptons of Tak Frac Fever include an OCD for perfect visuals, using scaffolding joints instead of tube rings, attraction towards minty green colours, blue and red stripes - the "Toothpaste Tube Affectation".

Some TFF affected persons have developed a condition that affects other telescope owners, an obsession with black "Feather Touch" focusers. This name derives from the weight of a person's wallet or purse after buying a FT focuser, the most severe cases being after a purchase of a 3 inch focuser.

Another affectation some TFF owners have is "Doberman Addiction", which might indicate a high degree of protectionism among Takahashi refractor owners of their treasured telescopes. This could also be associated (though not proven) with the attraction of Feather Touch focusers - both the dog breed and focuser have attractive shiny black and gold colour schemes.

Edited by 25585
  • Haha 3

18 hours ago, 25585 said:

Didn't the FS128 (Frauhofer) succeed the FC125, which must have been a succession of the original FC100.

I think you might be right☺..

http://scopeviews.co.uk/TakFS128.htm

As the FS range had the fluorite element at the front, Fraunhofer style, it was named the F(ront) S(urface) range.

Apparently this design was always thought by Takahashi to be the optimum doublet configuration, but at the original time of first design the modern hard coatings weren't available, leaving the fluorite element vulnerable to moisture ingress. 

When the modern hard surface coatings became available, Tak were then able to launch the Front Surface FS configuration safely, and the rest, as they say, is history..

Dave:icon_biggrin:

Edited by F15Rules
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, F15Rules said:

I think you might be right☺..

http://scopeviews.co.uk/TakFS128.htm

As the FS range had the fluorite element at the front, Fraunhofer style, it was named the F(ront) S(urface) range.

Apparently this design was always thought by Takahashi to be the optimum doublet configuration, but at the original time of first design the modern hard coatings weren't available, leaving the fluorite element vulnerable to moisture ingress. 

When the modern hard surface coatings were available, Tak were then able to launch the Front Surface FS configuration safely, and the rest, as they say, is history..

Dave:icon_biggrin:

The Steinheil FC style was a big element in deciding to buy a Tak. Had they still been FS, modern coatings or not, I would have passed.

Perhaps next FC will be a 130-140, as that seems a signifigant up-size from 100, and is used by other makers already. Light weight for that size lens would be a good seller. F7 to F8 probably then.

Looks like we will have some clear skies again in the early hours, I will have to set my alarm ?

3 hours ago, 25585 said:

The Steinheil FC style was a big element in deciding to buy a Tak. Had they still been FS, modern coatings or not, I would have passed.

Perhaps next FC will be a 130-140, as that seems a signifigant up-size from 100, and is used by other makers already. Light weight for that size lens would be a good seller. F7 to F8 probably then.

The amazing FS Fraunhoffer enabled a thinner front fluorite element, so cheaper cost wise. The Steinheil uses a thicker rear fluorite element with steeper curves, but the design offers greater correction across the board than the Fraunhoffer, so Tak have been able to produce an F7.4 system with better over all correction than the FS. Long before the new FC series were introduced, there was a considerable following for the first FC (uncoated rear element) refractors, which were deemed by many to be superior the the FS that followed them. I loved my FS refractors very much, but i love my FC even more so. 

• Like 3

I sure hope he does. Matt (Rainmaker) only finished building them a few weeks ago.

My FS128 belonged to Matt. As did my TEC MC200. Always happy to buy his stuff... he nurtures his gear incredibly well. Perhaps I’ll have a crack at buying the bino-scope from him when he’s had enough of it :)

• Like 3

If anyone reading wants a 100 DL,  Rother Optics are advertising on their site.  More have been imported to the UK than I imagined, 3 retailers (RO, IK, TT) having DLs.

6 hours ago, 25585 said:

If anyone reading wants a 100 DL,  Rother Optics are advertising on their site.  More have been imported to the UK than I imagined, 3 retailers (RO, IK, TT) having DLs.

I had a quick look after seeing the RVO on ABS ?

• Like 1

???? x FC100DC
??????x FC100DF
???? x FC100DL
? x FC76DS
? x TSA120
? x TSA102
?? x FS102
? x FS120
??? x FS60CB
? x FSQ85
? x TOA-150B
???x FS128

2 more added ?

Probably lots more to be counted yet. 

So commonplace :p , I think Vixen ownership is more exclusive here & even maybe Tele Vue fracs.