Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Kemble's Cascade

Taken late November as part of imaging Cassiopeia. Kemble's Cascade was captured in two separate winds of the barn door so this is:

14 lights (12 x 3 minutes 2 x 2 minutes) 28 x flats 15 x dark flats 30 x bias total 41 minutes

Manual barn door tracker, unmodded Canon 1100d 40mm pancake lens f4 ISO 400

I find that the 10 second window works well if I work the mount behind the clock I can reliably get 2-3 minute exposures, bad star shapes occur when I get ahead of the clock, so I work behind it with a 5 second float. (assuming 400/40 gives 10 seconds before trails evident on static mount)

Stacked in DSS, lightly cropped and processed in StarTools saved as png

5a5dfdf3b6c8c_Autosave001.fts34kembelcascadev3.0.thumb.png.0aa52d9ba5cb7ee586747e2f42780b87.png

This if my home made barn door tracker. It is designed to sit on a flat chair and with three adjustable feet can be set level, I sit next to it and work the turning cd disk (under the bottom board out of sight). The black circle is the button battery for a red led that shines unto the winding disk so i can can where the pointer is. The red dot finder enables the tracker hinge to be aligned with Polaris and the camera sits on the ball head with it's own red dot finder. The angle of the board's mount support for the actual barn door which is fixed to it is set for my latitude. This mount is rock steady.

Image1.png

Archived