Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep9_banner.thumb.jpg.05c1bdd298547fd225896a3d99c9bc17.jpg

DaveS

Rosette with old data

90min HII, 72min [NII], and 80min [OIII] in 2 min subs with the 80mm f/4.4 and ASI1600 MMC camera through 3nm Astrodons. Piggy backed on the 130 f/7 mounted on the DDM60 and encoder guided.

Sigma Add stacking in AA5, then gradient removal, alignment and Trichromy with [NII] mapped to Red, HII to Green, and [OIII] to Blue, following the Hubble Palette.

Multiple Histogram Stretches, and a Low Pass filter to get rid of some of the noise. The RGB stack needed a serious crop as the [OIII] subs were at a steep angle to the other data, which is a pity as I can see plenty of outlying detail in the individual stacks.

5a5d0fcb67820_ZWOFirstNHO.thumb.jpg.be0bb35ddb2d3c4487d49421af5adfaa.jpg

I'm not taking this particular image any further as the data is too short. I've already got another 2 hours of HII in 5 min subs which I'll stack and add to the existing HII stack. The [OIII] I think I'll bin as it's so badly skewed, I'll try to replace it with 5 min subs properly aligned. The [NII] is OK as it stands, but I'll try to add to it.

When I'll be able to get more data is a moot point, as the weather here has been dire. There *may* be a couple of windows coming up, but I'm not counting on them.

• Like 3

I'll just add that this data was acquired last year, Jan and Feb according to the dates on the subs.

I'd written off the [NII] data as I thought I'd made a mistake and set the HII filter instead. Being bored with the rubbish weather I decided to have another look, and it seems I *did* get the right filter after all.

In addition to being badly framed, the [OIII] data had a huge linear gradient through it, another reason to bin it.

After saying I wouldn't take this further I tried some ideas I had.

Up till now I've combined the raw stacks in the Trichromy tool of AA5, then ticked "Auto" and "White Balance". This time I applied some linear stretching and LPF to the stacks first. After Trichromy and cropping the alignment borders I then performed many iterations of Histogram Stretch with curves, and a few linear

5a60edfb07e2c_NHOwithpre-stretch.thumb.jpg.7a6c7efaa3dbe3932c2605986e7dd3c5.jpg

TBH I'm not sure it's making much difference, the main thing, I think is to get a lot more data, especially [OIII], and some [NII].

The thing that's bothering me is no being able to get a clean Blue from the [OIII] signal. I *think* more data will help, but is it inherent in my capture / processing?

Any pointers will be welcome.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By KEJ
      Restoring a Backup on a Mac

Something else I came across and a chap called Terry on Facebook had a solution.
      Again, you might already know this, but just in case.

Backup
      You buy a new ASIAIR Pro, you are pretty much advised that one of the first things you should do, is to create a backup of your software(includes your license key) from the supplied SD card.
      And one of the common methods suggested for Mac users is to use the “Apple Pi Baker” program/application.

So, I used the application to create my backup and saved it in a safe place, in fact I made two copies(belt and braces).
      Then, yesterday, I thought I should really try to restore one of these backups to make sure they actually work, else what is the point of having a backup for that rainy day.
      And actually, I will keep the original safe and use my copy going forward.

Restore
      So, I inserted a new blank SD card(Fat32) and started the restore process, letting it run its course.
      Once it had finished, I did a quick eye ball to compare the copy to the original and all the files appeared to be there.

I then plugged the restored SD card back into the ASIAIR Pro, but the device would not start/boot up!
      Just in case, I then reformatted another SD card and tried that one, but still no good.
      I then created another backup from the original SD card(so all in all I had img and zip versions) and tried to restore them, the same result, fail.

On further investigation, it looks like this is fairly common.
       Terry on ASIAIR Facebook group suggested downloading the file from the ZWO website, but then using your own License file.

I then used the ASIAIR PRO link above(from the “How_to_Restore_ASIAIR_OS.pdf” on line doc)  to get the file.
      First, keeping a copy of my zwoair_license safe of course(still on the original SD card).
      The file is pretty large, unzips to about 31 GB and takes a while to download(9GB zipped) even on cable.

I then restored(using Apple Pi Baker) this new downloaded file to my new SD card and once it had completed, I then overwrote(replaced) the 
      existing “zwoair_license” file with my original(my unique supplied copy).
      Next, I then inserted the new copied/restored SD card into the ASIAIR Pro and it started.
      Finally, I then connected via the ASIAIR app using my IPhone and was prompted to update the firmware to the latest version which I did.

Happy Ending
      Bingo all good, the original SD card supplied by ZWO stored in a safe place and I am now using this copy going forward.

• By Michael Hogan
      Sony IMX294 4/3 CMOS Sensor Extremely low read noise - 1.2e @30db gain 14Bit ADC - provides real 14bit dynamic range Electronic shutter - no issues with vibrations sometimes found in mechanical shutters USB3.0 Port (back compatible with USB2.0) - 16fps@4144×2822 AR coated protective window - all light can pass Compatible with Windows / Mac OS / Linux LIKE NEW £825 FLO price with delivery is  £1,022.95 ill pay shipping getting ASI6200mc Pro why I'm selling camera is perfect.
      The camera will be shipped in box with all the extras

• By Alfredo Beltran
      Hi
      This is my version of the Rosette nebula using the Hubble and taken with the ASI071 OSC camera. Telescope was a C925 EdgeHD with Hyperstar lens.

Exposure time: 4hr 50 min in total at unity gain
      2hr 00 min (24 x 5 min) Ha
      1h 15 min (55 x 5 min) OIII
      1hr 35 min (19 x 5 min) SII
      This setup is awesome. A few years ago such an image just could’ve been taken with a monochrome ccd.
      Regards,
      Alfredo
    • By mindaugask
      Hi! 
      Have anyone tried to make a DIY version of hand controller for zwo eaf focuser? Or tried measuring what is the output of the controller? 
      I want to print a hand controller +battery case all in one but unfortunately do not have the controller to check what needs to be outputted thru connector. I assume it will be pretty basic like shortening contact but maybe someone has already checked

Thanks for looking! 
    • By The-MathMog
      Because of the current situation, I have, as many of you guys probably have too, spend a lot more time under the stars when possible.

It has literally been over a year since last I was out doing some astrophotography because of work.

So here is my second take after the long break, NGC 3344 (The Sliced Onion Galaxy).
      Initially I thought it would be a lot fainter than it was, so it was basically a shot in the dark, of just trying to get back at doing this.
      But the final image actually showed a lot more detail than I would've hoped for!
      Spring lent a lot of clear night, but those seems to be gone already. I would've hoped for a few more hours to add some more luminance data to it, as I did have to push it quite a bit.
      I am not too happy with the shape of the stars either. Guiding was not very stable through the night, even though balance and polar alignment seemed to be good. Might need to update my Celestron PEC data? 

Any advice or feedback is very welcome! 🤩
      NGC 3344 (Sliced Onion Galaxy)
      Flat and Dark calibrated
      Gain 111
      Offset 40
      Total Integration - 5 Hours 4 minutes  (LRGB)
      ZWO ASI 183MM-Pro
      Baader 2'' Neodymium Filter
      Baader 1,25'' RGB Filters
      ZWO Mini EFW
      Explore Scientific Coma Corrector
      ToupTek Camera G-1200-KMB Mono Guider
      Orion Mini 50mm Guidescope
      Photoshop CS2
      Deep Sky Stacker
      Stellarium/Stellarium Scope
      Astrotortilla

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.