SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Show us your Vixen Scope or mount

On ‎2018‎年‎1‎月‎18‎日 at 22:17, Froeng said:

I love that SXP! I never used one but If I ever retire my old SP-DX, this will be high on my wishlist. The finish is excellent, the starbook seems outstanding and I am convinced the mechanics must be worth every penny. I also like your neat yellow case for it....

You can't go wrong with SXP. Get one now, or you will regret one day not having it earlier. :happy7:The yellow case is Nanuk 950, which is perfect for storing GEM of this size. The original removable cube foam is too soft to support/protect the mount, so I bought three very thick EPE foams and cut them into proper size.

Edited by Zhao

Just now, cotterless45 said:

Wonderful to see these scopes appreciated and loved . The  optics are sweet. Old school here. Rescued and fettled. Old Nick.

Vixen 90 on az and 102 on SP mount.IMG_5442.JPG.d9cb90a2ec1b25abb9cf350cdb921f9c.JPGIMG_5444.thumb.JPG.0b3dd66b0a7514c78eecaa6ae90470ca.JPGIMG_5443.JPG.733d41a0680af223493f8e87ae982141.JPG

Still envious of your long dangly remote control cables Nick :) 

Lovely scope.

• Like 3

... and while we are talking about packaging. I recently bought the Vixen refractor bag for my 60l f/15.

its a perfect fit for my secondary scope and has some room for the original accessories:

unfortunately the tube is slightly dented from the guidescope tube rings. :-(

2DDD4764-B391-4AF0-B32A-063FB48780F2.jpeg

E6E27D8C-70B7-4ED5-BDA4-E34C0030E3B8.jpeg

Edited by Froeng
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, cotterless45 said:

Wonderful to see these scopes appreciated and loved . The  optics are sweet. Old school here. Rescued and fettled. Old Nick.

Vixen 90 on az and 102 on SP mount.IMG_5442.JPG.d9cb90a2ec1b25abb9cf350cdb921f9c.JPGIMG_5444.thumb.JPG.0b3dd66b0a7514c78eecaa6ae90470ca.JPGIMG_5443.JPG.733d41a0680af223493f8e87ae982141.JPG

Hi Old Nick,

that must be an SP90m? A very nice achromat on a perfect match mount!

Hope you can enjoy it for a long time! The good thing about Vixen equipment is that it hardly ever breaks! The only thing that gave up on me was the DMD-1 handset - after 22 years!But I believe that was my user error (wrong polarity).

Frank

Edited by Froeng
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, PurpleFringe said:

Joining the fray:)

Here is my Vixen GP2 mount. I am pretty fond of it, even though the tripod isn't very tall.

Vixen.jpg.40ce2dd8f40118afdfbdf62746862a6c.jpg

Very nice setup! I didn’t know Vixen made the recent (white) mounts with wooden tripods! Looks beautiful. I generally found the wooden ones better than the aluminium legs..

... and more Vixen “vintage” stuff. The 45mm Plössl is (I believe) now a rarity. But it’s excellent on my 60l refractor. I recently bought a GA-4 in 24.5mm (left over stock from a UK dealer). This is an extremely well made piece of kit! It almost has the feel of professional medical equipment (not that I am an expert). It makes guiding with the refractor very easy and keeps eye straining down to a minimum.

EA977058-973E-4CE8-87C9-C69808831E51.jpeg

Edited by Froeng
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, dweller25 said:

My FPL53 scope :icon_biggrin: on a Vixen GP mount :happy7:

5a64b7c6b669b_tsa102.thumb.JPG.ee2d1b3d6dbb55885b453e62678bb627.JPG

Only FPL-53? Must be rubbish! ;);)

Lovely setup, those GP mounts are perfect for that type of scope, they looked like they were made for each other.

• Like 3

Some really nice Vixen kit on this thread :happy7:

I have never owned a Vixen refractor but I got close, I was considering a 102mm FL from the 1986 Astro Systems (Luton) catalogue.

I ended up with one of their 8.5 inch Newts instead.

5a64c947bd9bf_VixenFluorites1986.thumb.JPG.daed2f4dae74027e0a247f880e6b892f.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, dweller25 said:

Some really nice Vixen kit on this thread :happy7:

I have never owned a Vixen refractor but I got close, I was considering a 102mm FL from the 1986 Astro Systems (Luton) catalogue.

I ended up with one of their 8.5 inch Newts instead.

5a64c947bd9bf_VixenFluorites1986.thumb.JPG.daed2f4dae74027e0a247f880e6b892f.JPG

FL102S was the one I turned down. Bought my TV Genesis instead.

Just now, Stu said:

Very different scopes, hard to compare really.

I was new to scope buying then :)

The Vixen was much lighter, but its tube seemed very thin. Mr Fuller was more nervous of it being handled than a Genesis as well. I still have the Genesis, but would probably have sold a FL - though considering a Japanese lightweight refractor now!

I bought the one advertised in this thread:

It's a really cute little telescope.  What I didn't appreciate before I bought it is that the 3 little legs actually store inside the vertical bit of the stand which is a rather neat system.  What I really like is the action of the movement - it is just so absolutely smooth with just the correct degree of sticktion - it stays exactly where it is put when the movement stops.  The only problem is that I haven't really used it yet - I thought I'd have it in my room and look through the windows (perhaps with it on a camera tripod), but I can't get them open wide enough and if I take it outside I tend to have the Dob out too and then I use the Dob.  I also envisaged that I might take it camping, but when I went last year I couldn't fit it in.  I've got a lovely Revelation diagonal for it (it has an adaptor to take 1.25") and all those lovely EP's I bought that would work in it.  I really should make use of it - it's such a lovely well made instrument

Edited by JOC
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, JOC said:

I bought the one advertised in this thread:

It's a really cute little telescope.  What I didn't appreciate before I bought it is that the 3 little legs actually store inside the vertical bit of the stand which is a rather neat system.  What I really like is the action of the movement - it is just so absolutely smooth with just the correct degree of sticktion - it stays exactly where it is put when the movement stops.  The only problem is that I haven't really used it yet - I thought I'd have it in my room and look through the windows (perhaps with it on a camera tripod), but I can't get them open wide enough and if I take it outside I tend to have the Dob out too and then I use the Dob.  I also envisaged that I might take it camping, but when I went last year I couldn't fit it in.  I've got a lovely Revelation diagonal for it (it has an adaptor to take 1.25" and all those lovely EP's I bought that would work in it.  I really should make use of it - it's such a lovely well made instrument

I remember that one, they look really nice. Would be good to know what the optics are like. I assume still quite a lot of CA as it is a fast achro but probably quite well figured.

5 minutes ago, Stu said:

I assume still quite a lot of CA as it is a fast achro but probably quite well figured.

As and when I finally get it outside hopefully I'll report back on this.  Not that I know much about such things, but I was under the impression that such scopes had some sort of correcting lens system built in?  I guess something like the moon would show it if it was present, since the view of said moon  would probably go from one side of the FOV to the other?

I think it's a standard F/5 achromat. Similar performance to the Skywatcher ST80 probably (which are not too bad for CA) but a more individual looking scope.

Vixen also produced some small refractors for Tasco during that era. Good Tasco's to watch out for :smiley:

• Like 2