SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Show us your Vixen Scope or mount

2 hours ago, F15Rules said:

Hi Alan, Tim is correct, the knobs shown on your ED103S manual are different (and I think, better), than the round ones which seem to come as standard on the newer SD range.

I've been in touch with Bresser UK asking about availability of the focuser knobs from the SD, for the benefit of other SD owners, as I found that they are much more solid and easier to use in the dark when rotating the tube in it's rings..

Bresser's representative firstly disputed that the focuser knobs are metal (! - said "as far as she was concerned, they are made of ABS!), so then took 2 days to confirm with Vixen that they are in fact metal (specifically, aluminium!).

I then had to chase her and she did confirm that it is possible to buy a set of knobs (which has to include the pinion) at a cost of £51plus £5.95.UK delivery..so, not cheap!

If I wasn't already sorted with a pair, thanks to Tim's (@Franklin) help, I think I'd be inclined to go for the set referenced above by @The60mmKid.. here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325409930148

Finally..quote by Tim above..

The AX103S, being the Vixen premium scope

Er, that's not a scope, it's an Astrograph!! 

Now THIS is Vixen's Premium refractor...

20240206_190507.thumb.jpg.6909a7c6db4feea0be54815f143466a2.jpg

(IMHO, of course!! 😁🤪😂🤣)..

Dave

That 115 haunts my dreams, but I have to stop amassing gear and focus on using my already extensive arsenal of optical tubes at its best 😅

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, F15Rules said:

"as far as she was concerned, they are made of ABS!)

When Vixen scopes changed to white around 2002, the stock pinion knobs were indeed made of ABS but of the same design of the current metal ones. My old ED102S F9 from 2003 that is being passed around the forum at present, did have these "plastic" focuser knobs, but I thought a scope of that calibre deserved better and so put a new pinion with metal knobs on it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Franklin said:

I thought a scope of that calibre deserved better and so put a new pinion with metal knobs on it

I'm extremely fortunate to have your ED102S now. Didn't know it came with the plastic knobs – thank you for upgrading them. It's a beautiful telescope, I think it's just perfect and I've enjoyed every minute with it so far 😊 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AlcorAlly said:

I'm extremely fortunate to have your ED102S now. Didn't know it came with the plastic knobs – thank you for upgrading them. It's a beautiful telescope, I think it's just perfect and I've enjoyed every minute with it so far 😊

It's not just a very capable 4" ED F9 refractor but that particular model, the WT version, is actually quite scarce. Enjoy☺️.

• Like 1