Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

pascal PB

Stellarium telescope control device settings non port

Hello,

I am trying to control my Heq5 pro via SynScan (ver 3.10) with Stellarium (on MS Win10, 64 bit). I got the proper cable and adapter to connect to the usb port (via an adaptor for the RS-232).  In Stellarium I follow the instructions to add a telescope / configure / add new telescope  but when I get at the level of the device settings (see image), the field to select the port is blank and cannot be edited.

I know I am using port : Port_#0001.Hub_#0004 (from checking the device manager) on my laptop. I tried installing Ascom but I still can't find the port there neither.

I tried using a different port #3 but same issue.

Anyone knows a work around the issue?

Thank you

\\ 

image.png

Pascal.

Re check the device manager...the USB>Serial adaptor should show up and its com port ( Comms #3 etc)

57 minutes ago, pascal PB said:

Port_#0001.Hub_#0004

This is not a valid port description for the link you need.

First of all, are you connecting to your PC from the serial port on the handset....if so then you do need Ascom and the Skywatcher Mount driver from the Ascom site.

If you are connecting with an direct cable (EQMOD) then you need the Stellarium scope add on utility, to control your amount, as I don’t think Stellarium does direct mount control for the Skywatcher mounts, well it didn’t two months ago anyaway, as I got mine up and running this way with EQMOD cable and Stellarium scope.... :)

This may help, as I think my explanation involves the EQMOD software which is what i use, but don’t think you are, but still think you need the Skywatcher Mount driver from there site...

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/570521-new-eq6-mount-sky-watcher-question-about-ascomsoftware-control/

also when you are in device manager at the top, there will be a button to click which will enable the COM ports to be seen in the list, it’s not enabled by default hence you not seeing them properly.. HTH

:)

9 minutes ago, LightBucket said:

First of all, are you connecting to your PC from the serial port on the handset....if so then you do need Ascom and the Skywatcher Mount driver from the Ascom site.

If you are connecting with an direct cable (EQMOD) then you need the Stellarium scope add on utility, to control your amount, as I don’t think Stellarium does direct mount control for the Skywatcher mounts, well it didn’t two months ago anyaway, as I got mine up and running this way with EQMOD cable and Stellarium scope.... :)

You don't require Ascom or Eqmod to control a mount through Stellarium. Stellarium has its own built in mount drivers for Celestron, Skywatcher V3 or later EQ and AZ mounts and Meade mounts.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pascal PB said:

I know I am using port : Port_#0001.Hub_#0004 (from checking the device manager) on my laptop. 

Where did you find this ? The info for your serial/usb adapter should be in device manager> lpt and comm ports. I would also take the opportunity to update the firmware on the handset. 

V3 handcontroller firmware

I suspect that the serial/usb adapter has not been recognised by the device manager. Check in device for any yellow warning triangles and investigate.

On 1/14/2018 at 21:11, pascal PB said:

Hello,

I am trying to control my Heq5 pro via SynScan (ver 3.10) with Stellarium (on MS Win10, 64 bit). I got the proper cable and adapter to connect to the usb port (via an adaptor for the RS-232).  In Stellarium I follow the instructions to add a telescope / configure / add new telescope  but when I get at the level of the device settings (see image), the field to select the port is blank and cannot be edited.

I know I am using port : Port_#0001.Hub_#0004 (from checking the device manager) on my laptop. I tried installing Ascom but I still can't find the port there neither.

I tried using a different port #3 but same issue.

Anyone knows a work around the issue?

Thank you

\\ 

image.png

to make it clear, my issue is WIN 10- Stellarium relationship... I do not get a list in the drop down: Serial port  (same issue with Ascom) field is blank.

Then windows hasn't detected your USB to RS232 adapter / installed it's driver... if windows doesn't see any devices providing a com port, nor will anything else.

Post a screenshot of the windows device manager...

Edited by Marci

Which USB> Serial adaptor are you using???

(I've been using Keyspan adaptors on all my equipment for over ten years with no issues)

Hmmmmm

Bit difficult to help, if we don’t know what drivers to suggest.

I am trying to id it but no  luck. I will order a new one from Keyspan and see if I can get the OS to talk to it.

thanks for the help tho

I am trying to id it but no  luck. I will order a new one from Keyspan and see if I can get the OS to talk to it.

thanks for the help tho

I couldn't wait for shipment so I grab a USB Serial adapter from Staples: Belkin prolific. It came with its own drivers and it fixed the issue. 

Now all I have to figure out is why the target is a couple of degrees off the object selected (on the screen) when I slew.

thank you all for your advice.

I'm glad to hear you're moving forward....

I can't help with Stellarium; I use CdC with EQMod to control my HEQ5/ NEQ6 mounts. - no issues, no drama.