SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

AZ Pro Goto - would it carry a long Newt?

osbourne one-nil

I'm still trying to decide the mount for my Orion Optics 6" f8  and probably decide on a different one about 6 times a day. 

I want tracking, I want goto, I have no intention of getting into astrophotography. Stability is more important to me than portability although a balance between the two is ideal. I've had an AZ EQ5 in the past and found it acceptable to lug about but I suspect an AZ EQ6 would be a bit too much for me, although it won't ever have to be carried far. 

On paper, the AZ Pro Goto sounds ideal and would even give me the option of mounting my Vixen refractor at the same time. While my OO 6" f8 is well within the stated weight capacity, it is a long scope and I know this can change things. Does anyone who's used one have a view on this?

Thanks

Hi, from a weight perspective the AZ Pro would have no problems whatsoever.... but I wouldn’t fancy using one on mine or any AZ mount as they make me nervous when I see how cumbersome they look. However, If the weight is equalised on the opposite side it may well be fine, they are quite sturdy. 

Ah, now - I could keep an AZ EQ6 permanently set up in the garden covered with a Telegizmo thingy (or a bin bag) ready to go whenever I wanted, and keep my Porta II ready for nice little trips to a lake. That would work. An AZ EQ5 would probably do too. Hmmmmmm.

It's much easier just having one scope I reckon. 

I know everyone is different but I have owned a HEQ 5 pro and now have a AZ EQ 6 and I can't say that i really notice a difference, I lift it with one hand and carry it with legs in the lowest set, I don't have far to actually move it (30feet say) but it doesn't strike me as a bind aged 62 and I get more clear night here than most. However if you were of slight build then it could be more awkward.

Alan

4 hours ago, alan potts said:

However if you were of slight build.....

oh I wish!

I just can't get my head round what is the right mount for me. I might just stick with my Porta II for a while, enjoy some nights under the stars without any cables and see how I get on!

8 hours ago, osbourne one-nil said:

oh I wish!

I just can't get my head round what is the right mount for me. I might just stick with my Porta II for a while, enjoy some nights under the stars without any cables and see how I get on!

Personally I having had both thought the AZEQ6 to be in a class above when I changed mine and though the old one was fine, I'm pleased I did, it's much quiter and better designed. The only reason I changed apart from having the money burning a hole in my pocket was I have a M/N 190mm and that is much better on the bigger mount, buy one you know it makes sense, as Del Boy would say :icon_biggrin:.

Alan

I don't know - like everyone else I'm trying to balance the benefits of goto and tracking with the downsides of weight, alignment and power supply. I got reading yesterday on CN about someone who's foregone goto for Sky Safari on a tablet and a modern twist on star hopping. That appeals....as does goto and tracking. 

Archived