Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First atttempt at Web/Blog

sonof007

Just a couple of points, I hope you don't think I am being too picky.

Firstly, and quite importantly, I wonder if the long established Heavens Above web site may have some issues with your web site carrying the same name.  It may be wise to alter it very slightly to avoid possible complaints.

Secondly and this is for presentation and hopefully not too much trouble to rectify, if you feel it needs to be looked at.  There are a few spelling errors which need to be corrected and a rather glaring grammatical error.  Perhaps a spelling check and error check for grammar might be useful which will make a neater presentation.

As for the blog, I think it is visually very well presented and an enjoyable read.  I wish I could produce images as good as yours. Keep up the good work.

As an aside my signature says I am web manager for an astro society and I know I do make spelling and other such errors, if I find them I will correct them, but rely on members e-mailing me so I can rectify those I miss.

oobydooby

22 minutes ago, oobydooby said:

Just a couple of points, I hope you don't think I am being too picky.

Firstly, and quite importantly, I wonder if the long established Heavens Above web site may have some issues with your web site carrying the same name.  It may be wise to alter it very slightly to avoid possible complaints.

Secondly and this is for presentation and hopefully not too much trouble to rectify, if you feel it needs to be looked at.  There are a few spelling errors which need to be corrected and a rather glaring grammatical error.  Perhaps a spelling check and error check for grammar might be useful which will make a neater presentation.

As for the blog, I think it is visually very well presented and an enjoyable read.  I wish I could produce images as good as yours. Keep up the good work.

As an aside my signature says I am web manager for an astro society and I know I do make spelling and other such errors, if I find them I will correct them, but rely on members e-mailing me so I can rectify those I miss.

oobydooby

Hi. Thanks for the feedback. I am not offended at all. I had planned on naming the Site Heavens Above as but did not realize was a site similar, so I renamed it to astronomyisoutofthisworld. The Home page title is Heavens above. I did try swichting Title and Sub Title around but did not look right. will have another look. I will get my wife to proof read as never have been that great at spelling myself or grammer :) appreciate your feed back and alway welcome comments. thanks.

Nice design, I enjoyed reading your site. You seem to have come a long way with your AP in a relatively short time, well done.

Just a couple of points:-

i) There is no link in the gallery to your monochrome image.

ii) Personally I prefer to see all text justified, it just looks neater to me.

Good luck.

1 hour ago, Astro Imp said:

Nice design, I enjoyed reading your site. You seem to have come a long way with your AP in a relatively short time, well done.

Just a couple of points:-

i) There is no link in the gallery to your monochrome image.

ii) Personally I prefer to see all text justified, it just looks neater to me.

Good luck.

Thanks. I will look into the link and Text. appreciate feedback.

Welcome to SGL. Not a bad site at all. There's a few small things which could be improved upon:

1/ The domain name astronomyisoutofthisworld.com is way too long. You want something that lets people know what the site is about. Your name does this but its a slogan/joke from a t-shirt.

2/ Your pages take a few seconds too long to load. Granted, this could be because of my connection but i dont think so.

3/ On your blog when you mouseover the words "Read More", your links fade and almost vanish. The person viewing the site may get the impression that the links are broken and dont work, therefore will not click them. It doesnt help that when you do click them that the next page loads slowly. The links should darken in colour or change colour altogether when you hover the mouse over them.

4/ Its all a bit white. I know its the colour you picked, but there is a saying in web design that "white space is dead space". This applies to large areas within a page that are blank and could have been used for content. This rule doesnt really apply to your site, but the site gives the impression that you just put your content wherever you did just for the sake of it and that you didnt use the space wisely.

Nice to see that your gallery background is black. It shows images better.

As a Certified Internet Webmaster for nearly 20 yrs now, i have to say its a pretty good first site overall in its construction,layout. It just needs a bit of a tweak here and there. I know that when you use an online HTML editor such as Wix, that your choices and control over the look of your website are pretty limited.

5 hours ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

Welcome to SGL. Not a bad site at all. There's a few small things which could be improved upon:

1/ The domain name astronomyisoutofthisworld.com is way too long. You want something that lets people know what the site is about. Your name does this but its a slogan/joke from a t-shirt.

2/ Your pages take a few seconds too long to load. Granted, this could be because of my connection but i dont think so.

3/ On your blog when you mouseover the words "Read More", your links fade and almost vanish. The person viewing the site may get the impression that the links are broken and dont work, therefore will not click them. It doesnt help that when you do click them that the next page loads slowly. The links should darken in colour or change colour altogether when you hover the mouse over them.

4/ Its all a bit white. I know its the colour you picked, but there is a saying in web design that "white space is dead space". This applies to large areas within a page that are blank and could have been used for content. This rule doesnt really apply to your site, but the site gives the impression that you just put your content wherever you did just for the sake of it and that you didnt use the space wisely.

Nice to see that your gallery background is black. It shows images better.

As a Certified Internet Webmaster for nearly 20 yrs now, i have to say its a pretty good first site overall in its construction,layout. It just needs a bit of a tweak here and there. I know that when you use an online HTML editor such as Wix, that your choices and control over the look of your website are pretty limited.

Thanks for feedback. First choice for site name was Heavens Above but already similar in use so opted for my second choice. I have the T shirt :)  You are correct about limitations in HTML editor. 

Archived