Stargazing on La Palma

michael8554

On the cruiseship Sapphire with guest lecturer Pete Lawrence of Sky at Night fame.

We're going up the mountain with the world's largest telescope on.

360 clear nights a year apparently.

Only not tonight - trip cancelled.

Don't tell me, the UK is clear tonight.........

Michael

3 hours ago, michael8554 said:

On the cruiseship Sapphire with guest lecturer Pete Lawrence of Sky at Night fame.

We're going up the mountain with the world's largest telescope on.

360 clear nights a year apparently.

Only not tonight - trip cancelled.

There's always tomorrow! or maybe not as La Palma is already someway behind you? 
Don't let it spoil the holiday, I'm sure the wine will take away the pain.

I thought there was a feature over those Islands where cloud cover is limited to something less than 1000 Mtrs above sea level, giving observers additional protection from light pollution 
However, enjoy the rest of your trip.

10 hours ago, Charic said:

I thought there was a feature over those Islands where cloud cover is limited to something less than 1000 Mtrs above sea level, giving observers additional protection from light pollution 

Correct, but our trip was only to 1100, possibly no suitable coach parking further up?

Yes, we're in Gran Canaria now, warm but cloudy again.

Michael

I was there for a week in April '15. I had one fully clear night and one so-so. Every other night was clouded out, on one occasion the cloud base was below my 2000' altitude.

However, when it was clear, the sky was brilliant, I saw Canopus for the first time. I also noticed that all the streetlights were total cut-off designs, something all councils *everywhere* should note.

6 minutes ago, DaveS said:

However, when it was clear, the sky was brilliant, I saw Canopus for the first time. I also noticed that all the streetlights were total cut-off designs, something all councils *everywhere* should note.

Total cut off design? 

Is that when the local astronomy group help out with light pollution issues by getting the angle grinder out ?

Only joking 

6 hours ago, knobby said:

Slightly off topic but what do you think my chances are of getting a milky way shot if I wait for the moon to set ? It's about 30% full on first night setting at about 10 ish ?

Thanks 

I'd say your chances are very good... start imaging after the moon sets.

6 hours ago, DaveS said:

Every other night was clouded out, on one occasion the cloud base was below my 2000' altitude.

I'm starting to think that the 360 out of 365 clear nights is a myth!!!

if it sounds too good to be true than etc etc etc

Archived