Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep2_banner.thumb.jpg.e37c929f88100393e885b7befec4c749.jpg

edit:  Processed in January from data captured in June and it has been pointed out to me that, as per the rules, this image can not be considered for the competition.

The Fighting Dragons of Ara ( NGC 6188 )

C7C43744-9470-4234-B481-BD1F229040C4.thumb.jpeg.e25a6621d0fb4e18ddf4616d73c60e0b.jpeg

( please click / tap on image to see larger )

Image details:

This is an HDR image constructed from exposures ranging from 2 seconds to 240 seconds in length.  The aim was to capture the faint stars and details in the nebula whilst at the same time maintaining colour in the bright stars without clipping the highlights.

Plate Solution:
Resolution ........ 1.336 arcsec/px
Rotation .......... 90.002 deg ( North is to the right )
Focal ............. 1475.57 mm
Pixel size ........ 9.56 um
Field of view ..... 58' 28.5" x 39' 0.8"
Image center ...... RA: 16 40 09.903  Dec: -48 41 27.00

Telescope: 
Orion Optics CT12 Newtonian ( mirror 300mm, fl 1200mm, f4 ).
Corrector: ASA 2" Coma Corrector Quattro 1.175x.
Effective Focal Length / Aperture : 1410mm f4.7.

Mount: Skywatcher AZ Eq6 GT.
Guiding: TSOAG9 Off-Axis-Guider, Starlight Xpress Lodestar X2, PHD2 .

Camera:
Nikon D5300 (unmodified) (sensor 23.5 x 15.6mm, 6016x4016 3.9um pixels).

Moderate light pollution ( pale green zone on darksitefinder.com map ).

Capture ( 24 June 2017 ).
8 sets of sub-images with exposure duration for each set doubling ( 2s to 240s ) all at ISO800.
34 x 240s + 10 each @ 2s to 120s.

Processing ( Pixinsight - 19 Aug 2017, 13 Jan 2018  ).
Calibration: master bias, master flat and no darks.
Integration in 8 sets. HDR combination

Edited by MikeODay
  • Like 5

How many times have I seen the image of the Horse Head, and now this, but when I saw carastro's image in wide field, wh/ I've never seen before, Chen Rong's dragon jumped out. Compare the two

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/306487-horsehead-nebula-from-se-london/?tab=comments#comment-3351389

http://www.mfa.org/collections/object/nine-dragons-28526

Beautiful. Guess I've stumbled onto an imaging site but I don't mind.

5 hours ago, MikeODay said:

The Fighting Dragons of Ara ( NGC 6188 )

C7C43744-9470-4234-B481-BD1F229040C4.thumb.jpeg.e25a6621d0fb4e18ddf4616d73c60e0b.jpeg

( please click / tap on image to see larger )

Image details:

This is an HDR image constructed from exposures ranging from 2 seconds to 240 seconds in length.  The aim was to capture the faint stars and details in the nebula whilst at the same time maintaining colour in the bright stars without clipping the highlights.

Plate Solution:
Resolution .......0.586 arcsec/px ( original full size image ).
Rotation .......... 89.764 deg.
Pixel size ........ 3.90 um.
Field of view ..... 58' 41.6" x 39' 9.5".
Image center ...... RA: 16 40 09.856  Dec: -48 41 22.50..

Telescope: 
Orion Optics CT12 Newtonian ( mirror 300mm, fl 1200mm, f4 ).
Corrector: ASA 2" Coma Corrector Quattro 1.175x.
Effective Focal Length / Aperture : 1410mm f4.7.

Mount: Skywatcher AZ Eq6 GT.
Guiding: TSOAG9 Off-Axis-Guider, Starlight Xpress Lodestar X2, PHD2 .

Camera:
Nikon D5300 (unmodified) (sensor 23.5 x 15.6mm, 6016x4016 3.9um pixels).

Moderate light pollution ( pale green zone on darksitefinder.com map ).

Capture ( 24 June 2017 ).
8 sets of sub-images with exposure duration for each set doubling ( 2s to 240s ) all at ISO800.
34 x 240s + 10 each @ 2s to 120s.

Processing ( Pixinsight - 19 Aug 2017, 13 Jan 2018  ).
Calibration: master bias, master flat and no darks.
Integration in 8 sets. HDR combination

A very nice image indeed, but the rules state you can only use data that's collected during the challenge dates.

2 hours ago, geordie85 said:

A very nice image indeed, but the rules state you can only use data that's collected during the challenge dates.

Oh that’s a shame.

14 minutes ago, HunterHarling said:

How was an az eq 6 gt able to carry a 12inch Newtonian???

Amazing image though.

Thanks.

With my old 10” the AZ Eq6 was fine.  With the bulkier and slightly heavier 12” it was mostly fine but sometimes ( mostly when there was breeze ) it struggled a little.  It was for this reason that I have now replaced it with an Eq8 that is rock solid.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for posting. Cracking image.

Unsuprisingly, this isn’t a target that we see much in the northern half of the world.

I was trying to see the dragons then followed Iaowhoo’s link and they did indeed jump out!

Paul

2 hours ago, Paul73 said:

Thanks for posting. Cracking image.

Unsuprisingly, this isn’t a target that we see much in the northern half of the world.

I was trying to see the dragons then followed Iaowhoo’s link and they did indeed jump out!

Paul

Thanks much appreciated.

But ... still looking but not really seeing :) 

Perhaps my shot is too tightly framed.