Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help with apps

23 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

I like Skysafari 4 plus. Either Plus or Pro , 5 is out now but 4 is good I find..

SkySafari 6 is out now, but to be honest any of the versions since 4 (and probably before) are excellent. Best app out there in my book. It will also give you your current location for goto, but plenty other apps out there that will do that.

2 hours ago, Daniel3 said:

Hi can anybody  recommend a app on iOS for stargazing and also an GPS app on iOS for help finding coordinates For a go to telescope...thanks

If this is just for setup of initial go to handset then you might only need synscaninitv2 which is free. (though not sure if it is on iOS)

21 minutes ago, Daniel3 said:

Hi can you use sky safari 5 or 6 without WiFi.... thanks for all the info very much appreciated..

If you mean just as a stand alone app, with no connection (via WiFi) to your scope then yes. You could if you want get the right ascension and declination coordinates for objects etc off Skysafari, and then input these coordinates on your hand controller, at least I can do that on my Celestron Se goto mount. I never use it like that though, always going through WiFi connection, except on the odd occasion when it won’t align for odd silly reasons which is more to do with the WiFi connection rather than Skysafari itself. 

6 minutes ago, Daniel3 said:

Hi the reason I ask is that I don’t use WiFi if I am in a field. Or...when I am out if the app is running on gps then coordinate will still work 

I had my iPhone attached to the scope in my early days of testing. Apps  to measure angles,  GPS, Push-to! anything astro? but found inaccuracies, possibly due to the amount of metal that the scope was made of, possibly conflicting with the sensors in the phone, then  decided to stop using the phone altogether at the scope as even the dimmed display is/was too bright.

1 hour ago, Daniel3 said:

Hi the reason I ask is that I don’t use WiFi if I am in a field. Or...when I am out if the app is running on gps then coordinate will still work 

As long as your phone can get a GPS signal you're good. All the data is in the app, it doesn't require a data connection to run. I think that's what you're asking.

SkySafari 6 is currently available at half off. Either the Plus or Pro versions are great - best value astro accessory ever. The Plus version goes deep enough for most users, but the Pro version includes some additional features like a high-res moon map, which is nice. 

I use the celestron sky portal app, pinpoint your location on the map and it will display location coordinates, also has a list of brightness stars, useful when the mount chooses an alignment star your unsure about, and best of all, it's free.

+1 for Sky Safari 6 Plus. Its just been updated to v 6

You can't really go wrong for £6.99 (be quick this is the half price offer) and you get the telescope control interface with this too.

You can also go for the basic version (99p) or the all singing, all dancing Pro version for £19.99

Archived