Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_planets.thumb.jpg.e76f0a73fd950ae15415beb032373794.jpg

Hi.

Submitting my M42 for the challenge, suffice to say that no narrow band was captured or harmed in the creation of this image. Instead I wrung the LRBG to death! :icon_biggrin:

http://www.pbase.com/grahammeyer/image/166759195/original.jpg

Telescope: William Optics FLT132

Guide Scope: FLT132 & QHY OAG

Camera: QHY9 Mono @ -20c

Filter Wheel: QHY

Filters: QHY 36mm unmounted L R G B HA OIII SII

Guide Camera: QHY5LII

Mount: AZ-EQ6

Mount Control: EQASCOM

Focusing: SharpSky Pro and Focusmax

Capture Software: MaxIm DL 5

Calibration and Stacking Software: PixInsight

Processing Software: PixInsight(calibration, stacking, integration, etc) and Photoshop(layer masking)

L= 33X300sec, 10x120sec , R= 16x240sec, 10x120sec, 10x30sec , G= 20x240sec, 10x120sec, 10x30sec , B= 20x240sec, 10x120sec, 10x30sec

Ha= x , SII= x , OIII= x .

Binning: 1x1

Total Image Time: 484min (8.06hrs)

Captured: 10.12.2017 - 23.12.2017

Light Box by Exfso

Edited by MeyGray3833
  • Like 7

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By MikeODay
      Update: 3rd June
      Re-processed to remove slight magenta tint caused by the non-uniform removal of light pollution by the DBE process ( it was being fooled by the very bright image centre ).

The globular star cluster Omega Centauri ( NGC 5139 ) in Centaurus ( please click / tap on image to see larger and sharper )
      A full size image can be found  here.

original below
      A newly captured ( May 2018 ) image of the great southern globular star cluster, Omega Centauri ( NGC 5139 )

Omega Centauri ( NGC 5139 ) in Centaurus - ( please click / tap image to see larger and sharper )
      A full size ( ~ 6000 x 4000 ) image can be found here 
      This image is an attempt to look deeply into the mighty Omega Centauri star cluster and, by using HDR techniques, record as many of its faint members as possible whilst capturing and bringing out the colours of the stars, including in the core.
      Image details:
      Resolution ........ 0.586 arcsec/px ( full size image )
      Rotation .......... 0.00 deg ( up is North )
      Focal ............. 1375.99 mm
      Pixel size ........ 3.91 um
      Field of view ..... 58' 20.9" x 38' 55.1"
      Image center ...... RA: 13 26 45.065 Dec: -47 28 27.26
      Telescope: Orion Optics CT12 Newtonian ( mirror 300mm, fl 1200mm, f4 ).
      Corrector: ASA 2" Coma Corrector Quattro 1.175x.
      Effective Focal Length / Aperture : 1470mm f4.7
      Mount: Skywatcher Eq8
      Guiding: TSOAG9 Off-Axis-Guider, Starlight Xpress Lodestar X2, PHD2 
      Camera:
      Nikon D5300 (unmodified) (sensor 23.5 x 15.6mm, 6016x4016 3.9um pixels)\
      Moderate light pollution ( pale green zone on darksitefinder.com map )
      Capture ( May 2018 )
      8 sets of sub-images with exposure duration for each set doubling ( 2s to 240s ) all at ISO 250.
      Processing:
      Calibration: master bias, master flat and master dark
      Integration in 8 sets
      HDR combination 
      Pixinsight May 2018

• By Maxrayne
      So I know Orion has been down now for a while, but I just wanted to share this one. For me, it was a literal labour of love. Orion took on a more personal meaning for me at the tale end of last year, much more than just a target in the night sky. I won't bore you all with details, other than it was all very Romeo and Juliet. 
      Anyway, the one night we went for a drive the other side of Hereford (this was mid February), took a firepit, hot chocolate, jacket potatoes and some very warm coats! It was a blustery night, the intervalometer was acting up and Orion was still in Hereford's light dome kinda. 
      But, still managed to get some images with the 18-55 kit lens on the trusty Nikon 5300 despite all of that. Had all but given up on the stacking and processing 2 months later but decided to run it thru Sequator as DSS wasn't working for me. Was 2am, I was dead tired from work and my good old thyroid in full on flare. Happened to yawn, rub my eyes and momentarily refocus them on the laptop screen...to realise I could just very faintly make out Barnard's Loop. Spent the next couple of days rerunning the stack thru Sequator with different parameters to finally produce the attached image.
      It's messy, it's noisy as hell, it's nowhere near technically correct, but for ME it's a very bittersweet image (two days later Romeo and Juliet parted ways) and a reminder of what happy is.
      Anyway, I just wanted to share it.

• By JohnSadlerAstro
      Hi,
      Some old data from last November; before my camera was modded. The original image was processed with DSS and GIMP, the new version with DSS and StarTools. I'm still quite noobish when processing with StarTools. but its a really fun program to learn. On this image I forgot to desaturate the sky background to remove the LP colour glow--when I do a reprocess I will do that. I'm hoping that there will be some clear skies around November-December this year to get some better quality data. The streaky noise is caused by the rather noisy CMOS and no dithering--I didn't start using APT until the New Year. The gradient is caused by the secondary being not quite centred under the camera up/down the tube.
      Around 1 hour of 2-3 min subs, ISO 800 
      EQ5 and 130P-DS, guided with PHD2 & 50mm finder/guider
      EOS 1000d and MPCC Mk 4 + Cheap LP filter

Old: (GIMP)

New: (StarTools--Still a lot of work needed)

John
    • By MikeODay
      Galaxy NGC 4945 in Centaurus 

Details:
      Galaxy NGC 4945 in Centaurus
      19 May 2018
      Orientation: North is up
      Telescope: Orion Optics CT12 Newtonian ( mirror 300mm, fl 1200mm, f4 ).
      Corrector: ASA 2" Coma Corrector Quattro 1.175x.
      Effective Focal Length / Aperture : 1470mm f4.7\
      Mount: Skywatcher EQ8
      Guiding: TSOAG9 Off-Axis-Guider, Starlight Xpress Lodestar X2, PHD2 
      Camera:
      Nikon D5300 (unmodified) (sensor 23.5 x 15.6mm, 6016x4016 3.91um pixels)

image Plate Solver script version 5.0
      ===========
      Resolution ........ 0.586 arcsec/px
      Rotation .......... North is up
      Focal ............. 1375.43 mm
      Pixel size ........ 3.91 um
      Field of view ..... 43' 27.2" x 28' 54.2"
      Image center ...... RA: 13 04 51.790 Dec: -49 30 37.17
      ==========

Moderate light pollution ( pale green zone on darksitefinder.com map )
      Capture ( 19 May 2018 ):
      10 sets of sub-images with exposure duration for each set doubling ( 1/2th sec to 240 sec ) all at ISO250.
      ( 41 x 240sec + ~8 each forthe other durations )
      Processing:
      Calibration: master bias, master flat and master dark
      Integration in 10 sets
      HDR combination 
      Pixinsight May 2018

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.