Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_winner.thumb.jpg.e75de1ff1128e51a02fe7b63e48dbc51.jpg

MeyGray3833    46

Hi.

Submitting my M42 for the challenge, suffice to say that no narrow band was captured or harmed in the creation of this image. Instead I wrung the LRBG to death! :icon_biggrin:

http://www.pbase.com/grahammeyer/image/166759195/original.jpg

Telescope: William Optics FLT132

Guide Scope: FLT132 & QHY OAG

Camera: QHY9 Mono @ -20c

Filter Wheel: QHY

Filters: QHY 36mm unmounted L R G B HA OIII SII

Guide Camera: QHY5LII

Mount: AZ-EQ6

Mount Control: EQASCOM

Focusing: SharpSky Pro and Focusmax

Capture Software: MaxIm DL 5

Calibration and Stacking Software: PixInsight

Processing Software: PixInsight(calibration, stacking, integration, etc) and Photoshop(layer masking)

L= 33X300sec, 10x120sec , R= 16x240sec, 10x120sec, 10x30sec , G= 20x240sec, 10x120sec, 10x30sec , B= 20x240sec, 10x120sec, 10x30sec

Ha= x , SII= x , OIII= x .

Binning: 1x1

Total Image Time: 484min (8.06hrs)

Captured: 10.12.2017 - 23.12.2017

Light Box by Exfso

Edited by MeyGray3833
  • Like 7

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By MikeODay
      Thor's Helmet ( NGC 2359 ) in the constellation Canis Major 

Thor’s Helmet ( Duck Nebula, NGC 2359 ) ( please click / tap on image to see larger )
      This HDR image shows the bright nebula Thor’s Helmet in a sea of colourful stars against a background of red from dust and HA emissions.   The stars in this image range from the brightest ( bottom right, HD 56501 ) at magnitude +7.7 to around +20 or more.  HDR capture and processing allows all of the stars to be portrayed in colour without any burnt-out highlights.  The colours of the stars and nebula are as close as I can get them to their "true colours" by using a "daylight colour balance" and allowing for the extinction of blue-green due to atmospheric absorption/scattering ( mean altitude during capture ~ 60deg ).
      The blue star in the centre of the bubble of expanding stellar material is HD 56925 ( WR7 ) - a massive, unstable and short-lived Wolf-Rayet star that one day will detonate in a supernova.
      Image details:
      NGC 2359  Thor’s Helmet / Duck Nebula: Magnitude +11.5, RA (2000.0) 7h 15m 37s, Dec -13deg 12' 8", approx. 1800 light years away
      HD 56925 / Wolf-Rayet 7 ( WR7 )
      Plate Solution:
      Resolution ........ 1.318 arcsec/px
      Rotation .......... 0.00 deg ( North is up )
      Focal ............. 1398.41 mm
      Field of view ..... 57' 40.8" x 38' 29.0"
      Image center ...... RA: 07 18 36.509  Dec: -13 11 53.38
      Telescope: Orion Optics CT12 Newtonian ( mirror 300mm, fl 1200mm, f4 ).
      Corrector: ASA 2" Coma Corrector Quattro 1.175x.
      Effective Focal Length / Aperture : 1410mm f4.7
      Mount: Skywatcher EQ8
      Guiding: TSOAG9 Off-Axis-Guider, Starlight Xpress Lodestar X2, PHD2 
      Camera:
      Nikon D5300 (unmodified) (sensor 23.5 x 15.6mm, 6016x4016 3.9um pixels)
      Moderate light pollution ( pale green zone on darksitefinder.com map )
      Capture ( 18 & 19 Jan 2018 )
      9 sets of sub-images with exposure duration for each set doubling ( 1s to 240s ) all at ISO 250.
      116 x 240s + 5 each @ 1s to 120s
      Processing ( Pixinsight - 20 Jan 18  )
      Calibration: master bias, master dark and master flat 
      Integration in 9 sets
      HDR combination 
      arcSinH stretch
    • By moise212
      Hello all,
      I'm starting a new thread for this since the hydrogen data is rather old and it has been reprocessed since I posted a while ago.
      Now I finished the acquisition of O[III] too. Or sort of, I planned more, but clear nights were so rare that I decided to process what I had.
      The image was done in "3 pass" data over the area. That means that I acquired 3 sets of images covering the same area and combined in the end. First 2 in hydrogen, the last in oxygen.
      First set consisted of 3 panels in portrait mode for the top area and then I wanted to extend them to the bottom so I shot another 2 panels in landscape mode.
      I knew that I could get a higher SNR so I shot 4 more panels in landscape mode.
      Each panel consists of 30-31 subs, each sub 300s.
      Then I started the acquisition of O[III] which needed light pollution and moonlight conditions than the Ha required.
      Top panels contain 30 subs, but the bottom ones, only 20-22. Each 300s. Luckily there's not much oxygen in that area so I could get away with less subs.
      I also took some 10s-30s frames for M42's core.
      For the framing, I created a quick mosaic of the same area.
      For the final alignment I shot an image somewhere close to the center of this area. I can't remember if the initial register was done in APP or Registar - for the first pass, but for the next ones it was done in Registar.
      I removed the gradient manually in each stack with APP and then I created the mosaics for each pass same with APP.
      The 2 Ha passes I then blended manually 50%-50%.
      For the processing, I tried to stretch both Ha and O[III] to the same levels and I combined them manually in some 60-40/70-30 ratio for a layer which I used as lum.
      The colours were Ha - reddish, O[III] - cyan-blue.
      I spent a lot of time trying to control the big stars, the O[III] filter has poor coatings and, together with the ASI1600s non AR coated sensor, I had much brighter reflections than with the Ha filter.
      And I tried to raise the oxygen levels selectively around the flame and NGC2023, but the flame is really dim in O[III].
      Don't know what other details in the story I forgot, this project drained me a lot of energy.
      Camera was ASI1600MMC, cooled to -15C for the first pass and to -25C for the ones following. Gain 139.
      Canon 300 F4 L IS lens with a lot of aberrations towards the edges.
      AZ-EQ5 mount guided with a 200mm lens and an ASI120MM, with varying seeing. 1.5-2.5" RMS guiding error usually.
      APT for capture, PHD2 for guiding, Registar for each night initial alignment.
      DSS, APP, Registar, StarTools, GIMP for processing.
      I started shooting early in October and I wanted much more, but Orion already becomes less and less visible from where I image and hides beyond the house. Ah, yes, I image from a yellow-pink light polluted area.
      Thanks for reading, thanks for looking! Comments and suggestions are appreciated.
      Links to original image and acquisition details:
      https://drive.google.com/open?id=17tr8lqagQAJg8maojtHZPbM-f67gSBTv
      https://drive.google.com/open?id=12gjGEgeR7FxR1Tow0e64JczeeUIqKojK
      https://www.astrobin.com/330284/
      Alex

• By employee2-4601
      It was freezing cold last night; far too cold for an extended observing session. However, with Orion in the perfect position over the dells, I decided to try a little AP. 

Canon EOS 1300D (unmodified)
      18-55mm kit lens
      F3.5
      30 seconds
      ISO 160