Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dither with PHD2

Stub Mandrel

2 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

To dither with PHD2, I need to control my Canon 450D from the laptop, coordinated with PHD2

What is the easiest easy way to do this, ideally requiring no more than some software and a USB lead to the camera?

I nice piece of software which works well with the Canon 450D is BYEOS.  It isn't free but it works really well and there is a ton of information available for it.

I control my Canon 700D with Astrophotgraphy tool (APT). The free version has all the necessary controls, will integrate with with PHD2 and Cartes du Ciel and, using Pointcraft, will even do plate solving.   

24 minutes ago, RayD said:

I nice piece of software which works well with the Canon 450D is BYEOS.  It isn't free but it works really well and there is a ton of information available for it.

I also use a canon 450d and BYEOS. Just 1 usb cable! Cannot comment on other software, but i am happy with BYEOS and its dither function. 

Just now, Stub Mandrel said:

Thanks folks. Just to confirm, I wouldn't need Eos utilities to use either of these options?

Not for BYEOS.  Just plug in your USB, connect and away you go.  

They do a trial version so worth having a look, it's a nicely thought out and laid out piece of software.

I have been using the nikon version of byeos for a while and just switched to APT.

Byeos is a really good piece of software, and easy to use. You will not go wrong there.

APT can do a little more here and there, has better focus assist tools (I think) and seems to be adding new features faster. Next on their list is auto Meridian flip and autofocus between subs. It is also cheaper..

The point craft tools in APT are very strong, and for someone like me without goto, it has been amazing and has really helped me get on target faster. This alone is reason enough for me to go with APT over byn/byeos.

I have both BYEOS and APT. I use BYEOS and Astrotortilla for plate solving. They work very well together.

I always had a problem with APT and point craft so I stick with BYEOS/Astrotortilla. Not saying it's better, it just works for me.:icon_biggrin:

• 4 months later...

Update!

Now I have an HEQ5 with sensible backlash I can try dithering, so I've downloaded APT and got it to talk to the 450D and the 1000D as well as EQmod and PHD2 using the EQAscom simulator.

One good point, it starts EQmod automatically which means one less thing to worry about.

Let's see how it works in anger, go away clouds!

Archived