Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Peco4321

Live rocket launch

Haha.. the wife just came in & said.. "oh got my wrong specs on.. just pause it".... :ohmy::D

2 minutes ago, Peco4321 said:

That initial flare up of flames had me worried. 

Agreed! Seemed to scorch the sides of it!

Anyway, safely away, great to watch.

Thanks for the heads up Peter :) 

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

Next biggie is the Falcon Heavy. 

• Like 1

Its still a buzz to watch.. not as grand as the Saturn V when I was a kid but I never get tired of thinking what went behind it for those few minutes into space.. enjoyed that.. thx..

13 minutes ago, Stu said:

It was great to watch, I had gone a few years ago to watch a lift off at vandenberg AFB, but it is more comfortable on the computer and with explications.

Although today with smart phone it would be easier!

Stu: I am not from Barcelona (nor from California) but you show great taste in British comedy with your avatar.

• Thanks 1

Here's a video by Scott Manley that explains the fireball right before takeoff. It's meant to be that way.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ruud said:

Here's a video by Scott Manley that explains the fireball right before takeoff. It's meant to be that way.

Six minutes of video?

The live commentary said 'at X seconds the sparklers will ignite to clear away leaked hydrogen'.

4 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Six minutes of video? The live commentary said 'at X seconds the sparklers will ignite to clear away leaked hydrogen'.

Too long?

The purpose of the video is not to show the fireball, but to explain it. It tells you why and how this rocket is different than many others. That takes 6 minutes.

4 hours ago, Ruud said:

Too long?

The purpose of the video is not to show the fireball, but to explain it. It tells you why and how this rocket is different than many others. That takes 6 minutes.

Well I found it informative.. didn't realise it was the last one launched from the west coast either..  thanks..

4 hours ago, Ruud said:

Too long?

To be fair it is rather well done and he does explain the core point quite promptly.

But there are so many vids out there by people who spend ten minutes waffling and a few seconds on the actual 'meat'.

• Like 1

There is another launch at7:52 p.m. or 19:52 tomorrow Thursday Florida time so it would be early Friday in Europe!

https://www.kennedyspacecenter.com/launches-and-events/events-calendar/2018/january/rocket-launch-ula-atlas-v-sbirs-geo-4

I would think it will be transmitted as well but not sure the link?

Edited by VNA
  • Like 1

The Electron is supposed to launch today, it was delayed from December - launch window is in 5 hours.

• Like 2

I think this thread can carry on for all things rocket based, seems quite a few of us are interested in this sort of thing. 

• Like 1

Yep. Live launch in 100 minutes....that's 20 more 5 minute subs in AP speak :hiding:

Well I'm not bothering tonight, aiming for a late one tomorrow so going to skip the launch as well and have an early night.