SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Live rocket launch

Peco4321

This is brilliant. Most exciting space moment since watching the first shuttle launch. Coordinated booster landings - this is the future! Getting the middle booster back was always going to be tough, it was heavily modified, had never flown before and was coming in very fast compared to a regular first stage recovery.

6 minutes ago, Ags said:

This is brilliant. Most exciting space moment since watching the first shuttle launch. Coordinated booster landings - this is the future! Getting the middle booster back was always going to be tough, it was heavily modified, had never flown before and was coming in very fast compared to a regular first stage recovery.

Not seen what happened to the middle booster yet? Did it crash or miss?

Nope, new advertising slogan "All the way to Mars on one charge "  :D

I'll be saddened if they know the centre core is lost and are not yet telling us, that would be too much like memories of the Soviet era :(

Edited by SilverAstro

7 minutes ago, SilverAstro said:

Nope, new advertising slogan "All the way to Mars on one charge "  :D

I'll be saddened if they know the centre core is lost and are not yet telling us, that would be too like memories of the Soviet era :(

They'll tell us I'm sure, they'll probably wait until recovery of video from the drone ship.

Meanwhile I'm happy to look at views like this for a while :)

Screen Shot 2018-02-06 at 22.10.10.png

Edited by johnfosteruk
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Peco4321 said:

I just can't stop being amazed by this. I know the marketing machine is doing extremely well here, but the images are breathtaking. IMG_6230.thumb.PNG.6ad2765eddc333cfcc17349722692860.PNG

IMG_6233.thumb.PNG.fe3bb5d3807bc122f782d9a464d2b476.PNG

IMG_6234.thumb.PNG.1e0f79653812fbf125746cc0d3206220.PNG

Agreed but what a marketing ploy the first car in space but well deserved, has to be better than another spy satellite though.

Alan

1 minute ago, SilverAstro said:

So has this car got an electric ion thruster for max speed transfer to Mars,

or will it be ballistic, hohmann transfer, or  other ? we need to know these details :D

all I see so far is plans for two apogee boosts (one executed already, I think ? )

I thort I read Hohmann transfer somewhere :)

Edited by johnfosteruk
  • Thanks 1

Found some :

"Mission continues on an experimental long coast and third stage two burn to target a precessing Earth-Mars elliptical orbit around the sun "

from http://www.spacex.com/sites/spacex/files/falconheavypresskit_v1.pdf

hope they plan a Mars orbit insertion ( or Mars landing ) otherwise for a few million years ISS progeny will have to keep making avoiding maneuvers  :(

38 minutes ago, johnfosteruk said:

They'll tell us I'm sure, they'll probably wait until recovery of video from the drone ship.

I suppose if it wiped out the comms from the drone ship then they might not have images to show yet?

1 minute ago, Stu said:

I suppose if it wiped out the comms from the drone ship then they might not have images to show yet?

That's what I mean, they'll have had a fireball to deal with potentially, then possibly a search for the video gear and then waiting to get it back to land. The drone ship was about 300km down range I believe.

Edited by johnfosteruk
  • Like 1

Several journos reporting reporting on twitter the centre core didn't make it. Apparently there was a press conference at approx 6pm EST - 23:00 GMT.

I'm sure there will be videos and explanations later.

Still, an amazing achievement.

Edited by johnfosteruk
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, SilverAstro said:

and the BBC news channel has just shown a clip of 'it' < in the story line, landing back on ship :( 

That was animated footage by the look of it. (edit - Just noticed it actually says animation)

They also have factual errors "ignited all 27 of its engines at once" 

No it didn't :)

Edited by johnfosteruk
  • Like 1