Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Live rocket launch

Peco4321

2 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Did the retro thrusters fire for the crew capsule? Looked like a hard landing to me...

I did wonder that myself.  I'd assumed that we'd see some flame and/or disturbance of the dust on the ground before the actual landing, but I saw neither.

James

On NASA TV today:

Jan. 16, Saturday
4:20 p.m. – Artemis Fires Up: Live coverage of the hot fire test of NASA’s Space Launch System (SLS) rocket core stage, from Stennis Space Center, Mississippi

That's 4:20pm eastern US time according to NASA, so 9:20pm UK time I think.

James

4 hours ago, Ags said:

Bit worrying as this rocket is supposed to carry tourists! It isn't a test rocket like the previous one.

Nice big windows so they'll get a lovely view even if it's their last one 😄

Dave

All the “smoke” is actually steam and water vapour from all that water from the sound supression system that prevents damage to the rocket from all that adoustical energy and the exhaust cooling system.so not a problem for the local wildlife.

Looks impressive though. 👍🏻

From NASA

More than 32,500 5/32-inch holes in the B-2 stand flame deflector will direct more than 240,000 gallons of water a minute to cool engine exhaust during a test. Another 92,000 gallons of water per minute will be sprayed through 92 nozzles to provide vibro-acoustic suppression protection to the core stage during testing. This also will help shield the stage from radiant heating and other thermal effects.

Edited by johninderby

I think the noise is much more of a problem for nearby animals than the steam, it is enough to do physical harm. I do feel sorry for the seagulls flapping past rockets just before ignition.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JamesF said:

Realised this evening that I missed the Space-X Transporter 1 launch yesterday.  Fortunately it's still on the Space-X website.

There's a lot of waffle at the start.  If you just want to join for the ride, fifteen minutes in is a good place to start.

James

If anyone else does watch, at 20:38 have a look for a white crescent-shape thing that appears on the left hand side of the frame and disappears off the edge of the shot of the first stage.  Blink and you'll miss it.  Is that part of the fairing falling back to Earth do we think?

James

2 minutes ago, johnfosteruk said:

This?

Reckon you could be right.

It's on the first stage image more clearly I think.  It's barely there for a second though, so I've not managed to get a screen grab yet.

James

3 minutes ago, JamesF said:

It's on the first stage image more clearly I think.  It's barely there for a second though, so I've not managed to get a screen grab yet.

James

Wasn't even looking at the first stage :)

However, now I am, I think I see it but not clearly. There's something that looks like a flash behind one of the left gridfins. 

Got it on quarter speed trying to get a grab of it now

I can't see it at all now.  Not what I saw before, anyhow.  I should have screen grabbed what I had at the time.  The other fairing half does seem to go through the shot around 22:21 though.

James

20 minutes ago, JamesF said:

Here we go:

1755228537_Screenshotat2021-01-2600-12-48.png.6da7b1fb1ca1adb57e1b42d164c4248d.png

About a third of the way up the left hand side of the screen, just coming into view from behind the first stage?  It looks as though it could actually be fairly close.

James

Timing. :)

Downloaded from YT. Ran through VLC Frame buffer to output the frames, upscaled to 200% and made a GIF. I reckon you're right.

Fairing.gif.7821cb915bd180706a2608582dc54160.gif

Edited by johnfosteruk