SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Ooh, that’s a big mirror... (for the GMT)

AKB

I went to Arizona on a field trip with Uni (with @SimonS) a couple of years ago and we had the awesome experience of visiting the Mirror Lab and seeing/hearing about the painstaking processes involved in building these huge mirrors.  Your link brings back great memories, so thank you for posting :icon_salut:

Helen 

That is indeed a big mirror, 
oddly enough you can see similarities to any mirror at the polish stage, looks like Chris Locks tile former on a bigger scale.
It also looks to take as long as his is taking in the polishing stages too.
Lockie, am I being unfair here or is it similar?

At f/.093, it is just like a Schmidt design, but I didn't see a corrector. Has to be something to drag those reflected photons into shape before they impact the sensor/s, maybe they are not plane, but curved. Vivid imagination at work here :cheesy:.

25 minutes ago, TheMightyKong said:

Me too.  Shame the OWL telescope got cancelled though.

Didn't realize it had been, that's a shame, although hopefully these others will still provide dramatically deeper views.

Found this image on Wiki, shows just how big the aptly named OWL is compared with  some of the other large scopes built or planned.

IMG_6027.PNG

On 11/01/2018 at 15:04, Alan White said:

That is indeed a big mirror, 
oddly enough you can see similarities to any mirror at the polish stage, looks like Chris Locks tile former on a bigger scale.
It also looks to take as long as his is taking in the polishing stages too.
Lockie, am I being unfair here or is it similar?

I wish I was at the polishing stage, Alan :icon_biggrin: I'm just moving onto fine grinding with Alu oxide, however, it keeps on getting shelved as stuff crops up! (trying to go for a promotion from Radiographer to Clinical Lecturer at work at the moment, so I've got my head in books)...

Might call it the VSG telescope (Very Slow Grind telescope). The name seems to suit :rolleyes: 

Archived