Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_planets.thumb.jpg.e76f0a73fd950ae15415beb032373794.jpg

The red variable star, Mira (omicron Ceti), is visible to the naked eye at the moment. I was looking at it from my garden last night. I'm looking forward to following it as it fades over the ext few weeks. There is an article about Mira, and what you might expect to see, by Gary Poyner.

You can simply enjoy trying to spot it and noticing its red colour, or you might like to estimate its brightness. If you do so, be sure to submit your estimate to the BAA Variable Star Section.

Jeremy

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Thanks Jeremy. I'll give this a go if I get the chance.

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads up. I've never tried following a variable star over time but will give this a go.

• Like 1

My preferred way of finding it is to draw a line from Aldebaran through Menkar, and continue on for nearly half that distance.

• Like 2

Also makes a very interesting spectroscopic object with even a Star Analyser grating......

• Like 1