Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Update SynScan firmware without serial port

Cemaes2009

Make sure you get the proper skywatcher cable or one that has ftdi chipset otherwise you could flatten your handset while trying to update the firmware. I know from bitter experience. I bought a cheap one from fleabay and while it appeared to work initially once the firmware started to update it kept failing at 5%. Once this happens the handset does not boot and you can not go back. I thought that I had killed my handset after only owning it for about 2 weeks. After doing much reading I discovered that this is common with cheap converter cable so I bought the official skywatcher cable which was quite expensive but at least it worked and my handset was revived.

I spent a while searching for one to update my V4 handset. In the end I went for this one and it works fine :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00JZMEM6W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

must add, the reason I chose this one is because it has the female screw connections, meaning I can attach the leads together without worry of them coming apart while being used.

Archived