Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Tak FC100DL F9

2 hours ago, John said:

If you are refrring to the pics that I posted, there are no Taks in them. The big frac is a 200mm Istar Triplet. I was using it to illustrate where you put heavier instruments on a Skytee II mount.

The focuser could be any number of brands - many look the same including Primalucelabs ones.

Glad that white focusers are not just PL ones. 

The load that Skytee 2 is bearing looks beyond its advertised capacity of 15kg. The owner has modded to put a counterweight bar at the opposite side, wonder how he did that.  

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, 25585 said:

The load that Skytee 2 is bearing looks beyond its advertised capacity of 15kg. The owner has modded to put a counterweight bar at the opposite side, wonder how he did that.

You should take stated capacities with a pinch of salt. The skytee can take more if on a decent tripod/pier and  properly counterbalanced 

That is where the counterweight bar is supposed to go, there's a threaded hole in the side to accept it

6 minutes ago, CraigT82 said:

You should take stated capacities with a pinch of salt. 

Sorry , but disagree with that. The stated capacities are there for a reason, as that is what the mount/head are designed and built for.

Any over capacity is obviously at the owners own risk. Don't start moaning if your thousands of pounds scope goes on the floor if you ignore stated capacities ?

That particular scope was actually (just) within the Skytee II's weight spec - it weighs 14.7 kg including tube rings and the focusser. It was being reviewed for Astronomy Now magazine by Neil English who knows a lot more about scopes than I do :smiley:

On 25 April 2018 at 09:41, John said:

If you have a look around the web at scopes mounted on the Skytee II mount, almost invariably the clamp on the end of the alt axis is used to hold heavier scopes with the top one reserved for short, lightweight ones. 

The big scope in the 1st pic below weighs 12kg.

If height is important then you might want to consider a taller tripod such as a Berlebach Uni 28.

12kgst2.jpg

2scopest2.jpg

Been looking at Uni 28s. They are nice indeed! Looking at Berlebach's site, they can be bought with extra leg clamps, & in different colours - I like Nutwood Brown, so will enquire from @FLO if they can do those. 

Today I received from ADM two DVPA-TAK saddles. (No UK seller has them). 

As the photos show they attach to the bottom of a clam ring with up to 3 bolts. Middle is a M6 for which the clam has a threaded hole. Either side are M8 (or possibly M10) size unthreaded holes, so a nut is needed. 

I used 2 Tak M8 bolts on the longer DL clam, and 2 bolts from ADM, a little shorter, on the DF/DC clam. All below the OTA cradle. 

The saddles, as shown fit on the underside of either a Vixen or Losmandy D dovetail bar. For mounting therefore a bar would need to be attached upside down to a mount, or to another bar face-to-face. 

For my DL I have both clams (rings), but the arrangement is heavier, and not so aethically pleasing, than 4 Primaluce conventional 95mm tube rings on an identical bar. 

An advantage of saddles, as for saddle counter-weights, is easy movement on a (sufficiently long) dovetail bar for weight centering, distribution and equipment clearance. The OTA itself need not be moved inside loosened rings, but now 2 tube movement options are available.

The 3rd advantage is that any place along a bar can be used. No matching holes places and sizes, just slide and clamp very securely. 

This may be a Black & Decker approach, "overkill" etc etc. £3000 does not come easily to me. I look after it!

IMG_20180502_131322_edit.jpg

IMG_20180502_131520.jpg

IMG_20180502_131550.jpg

IMG_20180502_131655.jpg

IMG_20180502_132308.jpg

IMG_20180502_132401_edit.jpg

You are correct - total overkill IMHO 

(Just in case anyone who does not know the scope thinks that this much mounting gear is needed !!!)

:icon_biggrin:

15 minutes ago, John said:

You are correct - total overkill IMHO 

(Just in case anyone who does not know the scope thinks that this much mounting gear is needed !!!)

:icon_biggrin:

I can't win! Go down to 2 rings and......?

On 02/05/2018 at 14:30, 25585 said:

Today I received from ADM two DVPA-TAK saddles. (No UK seller has them). 

As the photos show they attach to the bottom of a clam ring with up to 3 bolts. Middle is a M6 for which the clam has a threaded hole. Either side are M8 (or possibly M10) size unthreaded holes, so a nut is needed. 

I used 2 Tak M8 bolts on the longer DL clam, and 2 bolts from ADM, a little shorter, on the DF/DC clam. All below the OTA cradle. 

The saddles, as shown fit on the underside of either a Vixen or Losmandy D dovetail bar. For mounting therefore a bar would need to be attached upside down to a mount, or to another bar face-to-face. 

For my DL I have both clams (rings), but the arrangement is heavier, and not so aethically pleasing, than 4 Primaluce conventional 95mm tube rings on an identical bar. 

An advantage of saddles, as for saddle counter-weights, is easy movement on a (sufficiently long) dovetail bar for weight centering, distribution and equipment clearance. The OTA itself need not be moved inside loosened rings, but now 2 tube movement options are available.

The 3rd advantage is that any place along a bar can be used. No matching holes places and sizes, just slide and clamp very securely. 

This may be a Black & Decker approach, "overkill" etc etc. £3000 does not come easily to me. I look after it!

IMG_20180502_131322_edit.jpg

IMG_20180502_131520.jpg

IMG_20180502_131550.jpg

IMG_20180502_131655.jpg

IMG_20180502_132308.jpg

IMG_20180502_132401_edit.jpg

But.....but...but...... your clamps are not the same!!!

1 hour ago, Stu said:

But.....but...but...... your clamps are not the same!!!

No. One is the DL clamp that came with my Tak, the other a DC/DF/Sky 90 clamp. DL clamps sold individually, seem not to be.

Archived