SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Muston Imaging Group (MIG)

stevebb

I am in the process of setting up an astrophotography and imaging group just outside Filey in North Yorkshire.

Having recently taken delivery of an observatory together with a fixed pier and currently awaiting a quote for the concrete plinth. I am hoping to break ground next month with the observatory being "functional" by the Summer.

Please note this will NOT be a visual astronomy group as such and instead, will primarily be for astrophotography with the intent of learning and sharing techniques together.

Lots of work ahead and this post is more of a "feeler" to discover nearby interest. I met a wonderful chap in Bridlington around 3 years ago having bought a dual saddle from him but sadly, cannot remember his name or exact location as a hard drive crash meant I lost all contact details. It is knowing someone like this relatively close by who could assist with the "little things" like EQMod, oversee the pier placement (before I cement the bolts in incorrectly), drift alignment .... ie someone who has already been through the initial stages.

My end goal will be one of fully remoting the observatory and this may even progress to remote sessions over the internet. I do like a good challenge ;)

I will be charting progress in a blog on my homepage.

Best wishes,

Steve

ps with huge thanks to York Astronomical Society for their help and advise getting me this far  :) 

• 6 months later...

Well, progress has not only been made, the observatory is almost ready for action.

The next stage is to accurately polar align the mount. I have already placed a "wanted" advert for a QHY Polemaster as I am wanting the alignment to be perfect.

I recently purchased a Skyfi + Sky Safari Plus and also a MESH WiFi network allowing remote coverage of the observatory.

After delivering astrophotography talks locally, I have been asked to provide some workshops and tuition. Once I am happy with pointing accuracy and comfortable in object selection (I am rusty) I will be progressing with these.

If anyone is interested and living around the Filey area then don't hesitate to drop me a pm. This is a hobby that needs to be shared and learning as a group is the best way to develop skills.

Best wishes,

Steve

4K4A3488.jpg

nightobs3.jpg

4K4A3482.jpg

Archived