Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

elbaztardo

Atik Horizon - Horizontal Banding

Hi Guys, this is my first post so would like to say what a great resource this has been over the years. Any problem I've ever had the answer has been here. Until now. 

Just wondering is anyone else having a problem with horizontal banding on the Atik Horizon. My high gain subs have terrible lines across them which is made worse by stacking. The lines are also present in low gain subs when stacked. See attached pic of 1 300s high gain image.

Hopefully it's just my camera and not a feature of the product.

I realise this can be a CMOS issue but surely Atik haven't released a product with this problem? Certainly not at this price?

_000R_Ha_2_-St.jpg

Edited by elbaztardo
Typo

57 minutes ago, elbaztardo said:

Hi Guys, this is my first post so would like to say what a great resource this has been over the years. Any problem I've ever had the answer has been here. Until now. 

Just wondering is anyone else having a problem with horizontal banding on the Atik Horizon. My high gain subs have terrible lines across them which is made worse by stacking. The lines are also present in low gain subs when stacked. See attached pic of 1 300s high gain image.

Hopefully it's just my camera and not a feature of the product.

I realise this can be a CMOS issue but surely Atik haven't released a product with this problem? Certainly not at this price?

What software are you using for capture?  Have you tried it with Artemis just to make sure it isn't a capture software issue?

I don't know the answer to this problem. But I'm interested in this camera.  Hence my response here. 

You may be aware of this already, there seems to be more experience of this camera on the Cloudy Nights site than there is here. 

I can see some amp glow on the left edge of the image in the same pattern i would usually expect for one of these sensors so I am assuming this is calibrated? I dont know if that could be it but I have not seen another camera with this issue before, might be best to just ask ATIK. 

2 hours ago, RayD said:

What software are you using for capture?  Have you tried it with Artemis just to make sure it isn't a capture software issue?

Yes i used Artemis for all images.

17 minutes ago, Adam J said:

I can see some amp glow on the left edge of the image in the same pattern i would usually expect for one of these sensors so I am assuming this is calibrated? I dont know if that could be it but I have not seen another camera with this issue before, might be best to just ask ATIK. 

Stacking with darkRosette_Ha-reg-St.thumb.jpg.139d315686c6c2497b87d6de58651197.jpgs and bias removes the amp glow but the banding is worse. Attached 11 300s stacked. I contacted Atik 3 days ago and havent heard from them yet. 

Edited by elbaztardo

14 minutes ago, elbaztardo said:

Yes i used Artemis for all images.

Ok that's good.  What power supply are you using, and what else do you have connected to it?

5 minutes ago, RayD said:

Ok that's good.  What power supply are you using, and what else do you have connected to it?

Using a celestron powertank. The mount is also connected. I ran some darks off a mains supply and the banding is on those too.

1 minute ago, elbaztardo said:

Using a celestron powertank. The mount is also connected. I ran some darks off a mains supply and the banding is on those too.

Ok well it seems the obvious things to check are fine.  It may be settings being that it is on lights and darks, but I've not seen this complaint on any posts relating to this camera, so it could be something else.

I would drop Atik another email, or even try calling them, as they are usually very good at getting back to you, so you could have slipped the net.

5 minutes ago, RayD said:

Ok well it seems the obvious things to check are fine.  It may be settings being that it is on lights and darks, but I've not seen this complaint on any posts relating to this camera, so it could be something else.

I would drop Atik another email, or even try calling them, as they are usually very good at getting back to you, so you could have slipped the net.

Ok thanks for your help. Ive emailed them again. Hopefully they'll get back to me.

Have you watched the youtube demo?

Steve Chambers showed this on the video, you just need more subs to get rid of the lines.

Nigel

You will also find much useful info on the ZWO camera forum  http://bbs.astronomy-imaging-camera.com/viewforum.php?f=21&sid=1fd72c865036dc322ba9e8d4bc7107b3

This is mainly in relation to queries re  ZWO ASI 1600mm and banding noise which also has a CMOS sensor........  Although a different manufacturer there are probably some generic issues going on here.

Hi just an update. The camera was defective and went back to Atik for repair.

They sent me out a new one. Ive done a short test with it and the banding seems to be gone.

Thanks for all the replies.

Good news!  Sometimes it turns out that it really is the kit that is defective.  We tend to assume it's something we're doing wrong don't we! I hope you get a chance to use it and we see the results soon. :) 

On 2/2/2018 at 09:29, andrew s said:

Glad it seems to be sorted. 

I did come across this http://www.astrosurf.com/buil/atik_vs_zwo/ that discussed two different download modes for the Horizon one of which can cause gradients.

Regards Andrew

Thanks for the reply. Good info in this for anybody with this camera.

Edited by elbaztardo