stargazine_ep45_banner.thumb.jpg.71f13bfceacd5e3df366d82c2b6f5f9b.jpg

No Wonder Takahashi Fluorites make the best planetary telescopes!

Well, ok, not everyone will agree the sentiment expressed in the title of this thread, but many do.  The fluorite lenses for Takahashi telescopes, and other manufacturers, are said to come from the Canon factory in Japan. 

In the January 13th edition of Amateur Photographer there is a fabulous article on a visit to the Canon lens factory which describes in detail how their aspheric lenses used in some of their lenses are produced.  Though all of this may not apply to production of their fluorite lenses provided to Takahashi (and other manufacturers?), it gives a wonderful insight into the trouble they go to in order to produce probably some of the finest lenses ever produced.  

Although six inch Tak fluorite telescopes are not very common, some of the finest quality six inch lenses made by Canon can be seen on most visits to a large RSPB reserve where one or two of their 600 mm f4 lenses used for their telephoto lenses will be in use.  If you want one by the way, it will cost you around £11,000, plus a camera of course!  Anyone who has used one of these lenses, or seen the results from them, will know how stunningly they perform. 

There are many interesting titbits in this article, for instance their 4K/8K broadcast lenses are built to a tolerance within 30nm - or 30 millionths of a millimetre!

Perhaps those who will be least surprised by all this is those who use Takahashi fluorite refractors - their lenses have a fine pedigree!  No wonder they are such a class act!

I recommend anyone interested in modern lens manufacturing take a look at the article - if you don't want to buy it (a miserly £2.95), you can do what I do most weeks and read the  article in the mag in WH Smiths :smile:. The link below shows the cover you need to look out for:

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/publication/amateur-photographer/amateur-photographer-13-january-2018

• Like 9

There is something rather magical about flourite refractors! I'm not sure it's just the colour correction - after all any reflector will be even better! - but there is just a certain something in the quality of the view through one - especially high end stuff like the Tak :)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, timwetherell said:

There is something rather magical about flourite refractors! I'm not sure it's just the colour correction - after all any reflector will be even better! - but there is just a certain something in the quality of the view through one - especially high end stuff like the Tak :)

Perhaps Tim,  that magical something lies in the accuracy of the final figure, or may be Canon Optrons optical engineers are fearful of having to commit karaoke if they fail. Whatever the reason, I'm genuinely grateful for the care and pride they have in creating such amazing optics. Having said that, your own scope looks a pretty droolworthy piece of kit. I like how you've used its carry case as a pier! :biggrin:

2017-11-16 13.28.30.png

Edited by mikeDnight
  • Like 1
10 hours ago, timwetherell said:

There is something rather magical about flourite refractors! 

I agree wholeheartedly...I think it's the special flour they use!??

Dave

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
On 1/10/2018 at 12:51, mikeDnight said:

Perhaps Tim,  that magical something lies in the accuracy of the final figure, or may be Canon Optrons optical engineers are fearful of having to commit karaoke if they fail. Whatever the reason, I'm genuinely grateful for the care and pride they have in creating such amazing optics. Having said that, your own scope looks a pretty droolworthy piece of kit. I like how you've used its carry case as a pier! :biggrin:

2017-11-16 13.28.30.png

Well if Tim invites me to try The Great Wetherell Refractor I'll bring the Champagne and the oysters... To hell with fluorite and a clear night!!!

Olly

• Like 2