SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A few DSOs from Dartmoor

Will Gater

Hi everyone! :wave:

Nice weather over the weekend so I went to visit family in Devon and make use of some really dark skies over Dartmoor. I'm trying to get into DSO imaging, so I really wanted to make my life a bit easier by capturing some data from a dark sky site. Friday night was amazingly clear with a little bit of moisture and low fog in the valleys. However the site I was using was high up above some hills with a breeze so was quite clear. The skies were wonderful with the Milky Way visible clearly all the way down to Sagittarius and back up arching over to Perseus. M31 was easily naked eye as was NGC 869 and I reckon I saw M33 naked eye too. Lots and lots of meteors too! Anyway my images...

I started off imaging M31, hoping to get about 1.5 hours of data. I wanted to get more detail than my second attempt which was a bit blue and also lacking much detail in the left side of the spiral arms. Below is the result of that imaging run - I didn't have to use my CLS light pollution filter and I think this has helped keep the star colours.

m31260908WEB.jpg

On Saturday night I didn't get chance to get up to Dartmoor but I was able to find quite a dark sky site. So I did quite a bit of visual observing with some family and friends and then started imaging. The two results are a little noisy. They are M33 and M45. I'm quite pleased with the M33 as I only grabbed about 18 minutes on it. I think I'll have to do more on that one.

M33_270908WEB.jpg

M45_270908web.jpg

All the best,

Will

Archived