Narrowband

I thought I'd take a look at Jupiter this morning but there was a tree in the way, so I tried to move my telescope to a better position. However the tripod had frozen solid into the ground overnight and when I try to yank it out I ended up falling to the ground . There's no cosmetic damage to the telescope but the focuser is now loose. I can pull it backwards and forwards just with my hand and turning the knobs has no effect . Any ideas?

Becareful just tightening any of the screws up, as if they are alignment screws you could mess it up altogether....check online for a description of which screws are which, obviously the thumb screws are ok to adjust, but the Allen head ones that are countersunk, becareful.. :)

4 minutes ago, Pieter said:

Oh no...  and that focuser is already such a wobbly thing :(

I'm assuming you got this type of focuser?

Skywatcher-Crayford-Standard.jpg

That bottom thumb screw is the one you should turn a bit obviously. I hope it works out!

Yes, the OP has an 80mm refractor, this is a newt focuser... :)

Well almost all of them have that bottom screw and you can't do much wrong with that one. If its still loose after trying all possible rotations (also try it in combination with the focusing wheels) it will mean the metal has been damaged enough not to connect. But doubt that will be the case.

I have the same focuser on my refractor. Took that picture with the reflector because it was first :p

If that is the focuser then right behind (or in front, depending on how you look at it) the big focuser locking screw is an inset Allan key head screw that controls the tension for the focuser tube. Carefully tighten it up in very small increments until you can get the focuser working OK again. I had the exact same focuser on my old ST120 when I upgraded the stock focuser on it. 

Image below shows Allan key in screw hole slot for focuser tension adjustment;

EEDAE56D-83F4-48B7-A519-F53A40A5EA26.thumb.jpeg.99198f7e47b0396eaa1e5b0d65549043.jpeg

I bought the replacement Skywatcher focuser which seems like a lovely bit of kit for the price. However, it was meant to slot straight in, but the pre-drilled holes are just off...perhaps 1-2mm off. There's a flange on the inside of the tube which prevents the focuser being pushed in far enough. Stupidly, I tried, and ended up knackering the threads! Luckily, I've found a metal fabricator on the business park I'm on who will drill some new tapped holes for me in the right place on the flange, so no real harm done. 

I really wish I'd not knocked the scope over!

That looks horribly familiar.

I did something similar to my 130P-DS when the dovetail slipped and the 'scope fell off the mount, hitting the focuser. Fortunately on contacting FLO (Who I'd bought the 'scope from) they were able to supply a replacement bolt. Using long-nose pliers I was able to get the old one out and replace it. As good as new.

On 1/8/2018 at 15:08, osbourne one-nil said:

Uh oh....

I think it's time for a replacement focuser. 

20180108_150206.jpg

20180108_150147.jpg

Pity I spotted this thread late, I could have fixed it for you FOC.  If you still have the original I could offer to buy it (at damaged price :D) to help offset your new purchase.  :icon_biggrin:

Sorry to read about your mishap. Happens now and again, this time of year. As long as you're ok!! A few years back I gave myself a 'right sore one', after (successfully)trying to save the scope(12kg of Klevtsov) and putting my body in the way(ribs & jaw) after an unseen patch of ice sliding escapade . I think even the Russian judges would've given top marks for my triple backflip lutz attempt.

As Peter mentions above, it's fixable with the right tools, but can be right pain, especially at that size of broken stud.

Andy.

The hardest part of the process, so far, has been removing the old focuser. The screws were done up so tightly that even with the right sized bit, I damaged the head meaning I needed to use a screw removal tool and hacksaw + real brute force before I could get it off. Urgh!

My focuser went loose after my neighbor's son chucked a giant chain at it (some kind of game of catch I think)! I think the finder also snapped off. I managed to screw the focuser back in and it seemed to work, although it still doesn't feel like it's back to normal.  

Archived