SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

My TAKAHASHI SEISAKUSHO, instrument album.

mikeDnight

18 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

Can I ask which Refractor is the one most people would love in their possession I have seen loads of posts about Takahashi`s but I have read posts about the Skywatcher Equinox 120ED so if money was no object what would you go for.

For me I would be extremely very happy with a Takahashi TSA 120, it has the aperture, it’s fairly portable, has the looks, the engineering and of course it’s a Tak!! oh and not forgetting a Feather Touch focuser bolted on 😉🤣

• Like 3

2 hours ago, wookie1965 said:

Can I ask which Refractor is the one most people would love in their possession I have seen loads of posts about Takahashi`s but I have read posts about the Skywatcher Equinox 120ED so if money was no object what would you go for.

If the scope is to be set up each night, then for me the limitation is weight of OTA (and dimensions too, I suppose it all comes down to ability to Handle). This would limit me to a TSA 120 or FS 128. I’d love a TOA 130 or a 6-inch Tak but I know I couldn’t Handle them without doing myself a mischief.

I wouldn’t say no to a Pentax 125 SDP.

Edited by JeremyS
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, wookie1965 said:

Paul,

IMHO it depends whether you mean by "money no object" a new or used scope..

If new, I'd probably go for Tak, but would definitely also consider TEC, Pentax (if they were still available) or maybe a TV127 (is it still available?).

I couldn't consider Astro Physics as I won't live long enough to get up their waiting list!🤦. I couldn't in good conscience contemplate an Lzos scope now either.

If buying used, at 4" aperture I'd go for a Vixen, whether ED or SD103s, or the classic FL102 without hesitation: they are optically right up there with Tak or anything else, but they don't for some reason hold their used value like Taks do, so they make fabulous used buys. Another pair of great used  "dark horses" are the Celestron and Skywatcher  ED100 F9 doublets..superb optical performance with budget mechanics at an affordable price. I've owned both of these scopes and was very pleased with them.

At 5" aperture, I'm lucky enough to have one of the best, my lovely Tak FS128..they are however very rare in the UK (I know of 3 others, and not cheap. Other great used 5" choices could be:

- Astro Physics Starfire.. not common though and very expensive..

- Vixen SS130 again very rare, but I've seen a couple under £1600 in the past.

- D&G 5" F12 or F15 achromats..truly amazing scopes, with almost Apo like correction especially at F15. But again not common and really need a pier or pillar type permanent mounting due to their size and length.

-Meade ED127 doublet. A bit left field, these, and not common, but by all accounts excellent performersand I've seen them for sale used well under £1k.

-APM are also offering some superb 150mm F8 ED doublets (an friend of mine has one and loves it)..not sure if they do 5" versions.

- I should also include the various Skywatcher 120ED doublets..I've owned 2, an Equinox and a DS Pro: to be honest, I didn't get on with them myself, but I know that many on SGL have them or have had them, and loved them, so I was probably either unlucky or unfair with mine. The Equinox had a lovely build quality too. They certainly represent great value for money as a used proposition.

Dave😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1