Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter & Mars Conjunction

orion25

Here are two of my best images from this morning's conjunction, using my trusty ol' Nikon D50 and my 127mm Mak:

This first image was taken at 6:33 a.m. EST while still bathed in darkness.

5a5237dcab5f6_ASTRONOMY-JUPITERMARS(PRIMEFOCUS)1-07-18A.thumb.jpg.f7e4d9e652e94ec585fa6f7622c24404.jpg

This image was taken at 7:14 a.m. EST, just as dawn was breaking.

5a5238e98cc3b_ASTRONOMY-JUPITERMARS(PRIMEFOCUS)1-07-18BSM.thumb.jpg.b4b60884b69db01d86fd67c6376d97c6.jpg

All four Galilean moons were visible, too!

Hope you all got a chance to see this apparition.

Enjoy!

Reggie :icescream:

4 hours ago, Scooot said:

Nice shots Reggie. When I first looked at them this morning I thought the double star likeness of the moons was quite striking. :) 

Thanks, Richard. Yes, I noticed the double star likeness, too. It made for a great apparition (despite the sub-freezing temperatures, -6C). I tend to like the blue sky backdrop; it gives me that early morning "dawn" feeling :happy7:

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Great shots Reggie. I spent a good couple of hours observing this and really enjoyed it. Glad you had clear skies too :) 

Thanks, Stu. After about 55 shots, I reattached the eyepiece and just enjoyed observing the pair until the sky became too bright. The timing was just right - clouds have slowly started rolling in and will likely rule for the next couple of days.

• orion25 changed the title to Jupiter & Mars Conjunction
4 hours ago, Pete Presland said:

Very nice Reggie, that has turned out very well.

Thanks, Pete. This shoot almost didn't happen as I was dealing with sub-freezing temperatures and a warm bed, haha!

• 7 months later...

Archived