Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Got photos back

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't worry Al - that area of the sky is very difficult to track down as there are so many stars.

Good Image - so that's NGC7000 just below Deneb - is that your first DSO captured on film?

Ant

I have got an image of all of cygnus and ngc7000, i posted somewhere here but i can't find it :oops: , but that was taken years ago, I'm sure though that there will be many more to follow :) though i don't know if they will be as good as yours, just seen you post in deep sky section , nice shots

AL

No Problems,

Under everybodies post is a link to their profile, if you go to that theres a button to show all posts by that user. Makes it a bit easier on the memory.

Hope that helps,

Grant

• 3 weeks later...

raw1.jpg

what do you guys think really bad light pollution or jessops over exposeing/developing

or whatever they do :) . I cant understand why all the photos are like this regardless of the exposure/f stop, i think this one is about 30-40 sec.

and all the photos look grainy.

AL

Hi Al,

Heres the thing ... A cameras exposure meter is set to produce a mid-tone grey image. That is, if you were to photograph a white wall it will be exposed as grey.  As would a black wall, or your average astro-pic, it would also be grey.  This is because most of our pix are of landscapes and the like with average mid-tone reflectance and, because we have evolved to live here and not out in space, our eye/brain has become particularly good at seeing mid-tones. 

Once this is understood, it can be compensated for: For astro pix, setting your camera to underexpose by about 1.5-2 stops will help keep the blacks black and avoid blowing out the highlights.  Also, if you tell Jessops to print for a black background, with luck they will adjust their automated printing machine which like your camera, is also set to expose for mid-tones. 

Hope that helps  :)

Steve.

Archived