Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_2018_sp_banner.thumb.jpg.a4fa178de7d36660e48f7eb1205319eb.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
Hayduke27

Jan. 6th Conjunction

I didn't think I was going to get to see this, as the weather was calling for cloudy skies.  However, I rose at 06:00 anyway, got my winter clothes on, grabbed my binoculars and headed out into the cold and snow to see what I could see.  Alas, I was rewarded!  The planets were higher in the sky than I had anticipated, and the viewing, though a little hazy, was plenty good for seeing the conjunction.  There were some nice views of the moon through the haze as well.  A nice way to spend a morning.  Did anyone else manage to catch a glimpse of this?

• Like 2

Missed your post somehow hayduke. It was a lovely sight whether naked eye, through binos or a scope. Glad you caught it.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Stargazer33
      Sorry, I couldn't resist this after noticing how central the GRS was in my images! 😏

• By Stargazer33
      This is a de-rotated image from the three videos used to make up my Jupiter rotation animation from earlier.
      The three stacked images from the videos were measured and derotated in WinJupos and stacked. This new de-rotated image had additional wavelets done in RS6 and final processing including a sharpened base layer and a top layer at 80% fill with a Gaussian blur attached.
      The original videos were 1000 frames; recorded in EZPlanetary, centred and cropped in PIPP, stacked in Autostakkert2, wavelets in RS6 and final processing in PS CS4 Extended.

Equipment: C9.25, CGEM, RA 2.5x telextender, Zwo ADC, Neodymium filter, QHY5LIIc
    • By CentaurZ
      Mars will appear at a perihelic opposition from the Sun during the night of 2018 JUL 26-27. Greatest brilliance at magnitude -2.8 is expected on JUL 28, with closest approach to Earth on JUL 31. It will be nearly as bright and close as in 2003, which was its closest in more than 60,000 years. 
      Photos and descriptions of Mars during its current apparition would be welcome additions to this thread. 

• By Stargazer33
      First time imaging since April of last year!
      Managed to grab three 1000 frame videos between it being dark enough for me to see Jupiter and it going behind the row of 40 foot Sycamore, Oak and Beech trees that back onto our garden.
      Scope: Celestron C9.25; Mount: CGEM; Camera: QHY5LIIc; Lens: Explore Scientific x3 Telextender; Capture Software: EZPlanetary
      3 x 1000 frame videos, centred and cropped in PIPP, stacked & RGB aligned in Autostakkert 2  with wavelets done in Registax 6; post processing and turning into a GIF. in PS CS4
      Seeing was very poor with some very high thin cloud. I think my focus was also off and as I haven't used my scope in anger for well over a year the collimation is probably way off. But hey-ho, at least I've finally managed to enter something into one of these competitions instead of living vicariously through others efforts! 🤪

• By Patbloke
      All set up to go with the sole aim of getting some Saturn images!
      To start off it was Jupes again to get some imaging done... The GRS superbly placed and looking Redder than a lidl tomato (subliminal advertising)
      After capturing some film it was time to properly align using Polaris and that wonderful on ya knees polar scope method!!! Boom!! three calibration stars and 'GoTo' whatever you wish for!
      Cygnus time - Check sheets and then give up and go and fetch Sissy Haas bible... 

20 lovely doubles, not rushed just enjoyed and studied hard... working with my Starwave f/11 102 and for those difficult ones a 6.5 Meade HD and even with the 2.5 Revelation Barlow gave interesting views... 200x the recommended max mag on that Starwave, I squeezed more than that out of her. 
      The stars looked round and colourful the companions sometimes hard to spot... But there's a great deal of satisfaction when you see them close by. 
      I made some star symbol notes in the book when a true double of beauty made me smile, my top few were: 
      Σ 2668  Superb
      26 Gyg  lovely
      17 Cyg  
      19 Cyg  Bright Red
      Ψ Cyg 
      Σ 2687  Sharp
      49 Cyg  Faint
      48 Cyg  Wide
      H IV 113  Spot on (why did I write that?)
      61 Cyg  Nice
      Also - Σ 2760, 59 Cyg, 52 Cyg, O Σ 410, Σ 2705, Σ 2588, S 726, Σ 2578, 16 Cyg, δ Cyg
      So that's my haul for the night... By the time I had finished those it was 01:30 and cloud had covered what was left of Saturn. The great thing about that session was that I didn't have those long whiney scope movements around the sky, it was all within the constellation. I expect my neighbours with open windows were also grateful. 
      Love that 102 f/11 Starwave scope.... A lot of the comments in Sissy Haas recommend a 150mm for some of the hits I made with my 102 so I'm happy... to get the colour is special as well... Not sure my alignment was that great because after entering RA & Dec the doubles were not always centered which resulted in me having to move towards the nearest double looking star a lot of the times.
      Didn't get -19 Cyg or T Cyg although I tried... 

Oh and on editing my images I notice I bagged both Europa and Io.... shame Jupiter disappeared behind next doors roof before the shadow made a transit! I've had to lighten one image to show the moons so beware you professionals 🙂

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.