Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

help with startravel 80mm

hi all,

I am new to this site - although I have read many of the threads over recent months. I have just got myself a short tube refractor, the startravel 80mm by Skywatcher. This is my first telescope and I realise that it takes time to become experienced with it but I would like to get it working to its best sooner rather than later. It was supplied with a 12.5 plossl and a 26mm plossl and it's on the az3 mount. Do you think these eyepieces are adequate? Maybe they are and I need to add a couple.. Any opinions would be appreciated - but considering the cost of the setup (140) I want to be realistic in the money spent. Thanks Mark

Hello Mark, one newb to another.

I have the 102 version of this scope of which I am happy with, given the price paid. The eyepieces can certainly be improved upon, however a lot will be dependent on how dark your sky's are.

From my sky's I cannot see the Orion nebula with my bino's or scope, which is very visible by naked eye with good seeing and dark sky's.

I am looking at the BST starguider eyepiecs which have very favourable reviews at a reasonable price and a astronomik UHC filter for deep sky/nebula objects.

Going by the views through the 102, the optics are good at the price point.

hey Paul, thanks for reply, I will have a look at those. I have had a look at some high power SW ultra wide angle eyepieces but I think they might be too powerful.

Skys here in rural Norfolk are dark so I should be able to see some of the good stuff.

I would just enjoy the scope for the time being. Enjoy the delights of Orion Auriga and Gemini and next year enjoy them all over again with slightly better eyepieces if that's what you want. If you are in a hurry to buy something, it could be warm socks, an eyepatch and Turn Left At Orion.

28 minutes ago, Paul67 said:

Good points made above and with that advice, a good 12 -18 - 24mm eyepiece, filter and Turn left at orion sounds good.

Nice one Paul, always best to ask.

The book "Turn left at Orion" is a game changer as you will be able to find things to observe! Get the spiral bound version so you can take it outside. Get it from amazon and opt for free shipping to save a few £

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Turn-Left-Orion-Hundreds-Telescope/dp/0521153972/ref=dp_ob_title_bk

If you want a high quality low cost UHC filter, then try the Castell 1.25" UHC filter from 365astronomy (£40). You get what you pay for with filters so cheap is usually cheerful :( The Castell is however punching about its price :)

https://www.365astronomy.com/castell-uhc-ultra-high-contrast-filter-1.25.html

For EPs, if you dont want to spent £50 per EP, then plossls are ok as a beginner. Skywatcher plossls are £20 at FLO (First Light Optics).

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-eyepieces/skywatcher-sp-plossl-eyepieces.html

But start with the book - first thing is to find something to look at...

I used to love my little ST80. Only just got rid as I upgraded to a semi-apo 72mm. It was my most used scope. I stuck an 8-24mm zoom eyepiece in it. Was great for grab and go sessions. Stick some solar film over the aperture hole in the cap for some white light solar views too. :-)

Archived