Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Wrong information in sky safari pro?

Hi, if any of you use sky safari pro, please could you tell me if I'm going mad?!

In both safari 5 and the new version 6, the separation shown for Mizar A and B is 0.6". Surely this is wrong? I thought it was 14" and furthermore even in the same app, the information page says 14" and 14" is stated further down the column of information when you click "centre". If I am right, then it is rather irritating because the app is not cheap, and the Mizar pair are not exactly obscure and unknown, are they? If you use the tool to get the distance between A and B it gives 0.6" as well.

Please have a look if you can, and see if I'm missing something? 

If I get a second opinion agreeing with this, I will leave a review on Apple store, which given how recently the app was released, should provoke a response from the developers. 

Thanks

Mark

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Analysis Paralysis said:

Yes, you are correct. But the 0.6" is not correct for Mizar A to Mizar B. In fact it is not even correct for Aa or Bb.

Why do you say that?

EDIT Actually, I see what you mean, let me look into it a bit more.

Dont judge SkySafari too harshly, it is the best app out there bar none.

IMG_5816.PNG

IMG_5817.PNG

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

Why do you say that?

IMG_5816.PNG

IMG_5817.PNG

Because every other source of information, including the description part in sky safari says the separation between Mizar A and B is 14". 0.6" separation would make it a tough spot for scopes less than 8 inches or more, whereas it is not a hard double to split in much smaller scopes. Hence 14" looks correct, 0.6" does not. Unless the 0.6" refers to something completely different to separation? 

5 minutes ago, Analysis Paralysis said:

Because every other source of information, including the description part in sky safari says the separation between Mizar A and B is 14". 0.6" separation would make it a tough spot for scopes less than 8 inches or more, whereas it is not a hard double to split in much smaller scopes. Hence 14" looks correct, 0.6" does not. Unless the 0.6" refers to something completely different to separation? 

Hi, I agree it probably is the best app, which is why I expect it to get the separation between the first, or one of the first, double star to be seen by telescope, to be correct?

1 minute ago, Grogfish said:

Does the 0.6" possibly refer to the separation distance of the  Mizar B double? 

Hi, I don't think so, as you can tap on Mizar A or B or use selection tool, depending on iOS or android versions, and 0.6" is the separation shown. I think the Aa or Bb separation is different. And not likely to be of use to the average telescope.

3 minutes ago, Analysis Paralysis said:

Hi, I don't think so, as you can tap on Mizar A or B or use selection tool, depending on iOS or android versions, and 0.6" is the separation shown. I think the Aa or Bb separation is different. And not likely to be of use to the average telescope.

True, true; it certainly shouldn't come up 0.6" on both. Hmmm. Well, you've spotted a good puzzle!

2 minutes ago, Grogfish said:

True, true; it certainly shouldn't come up 0.6" on both. Hmmm. Well, you've spotted a good puzzle!

Thank you. It is feedback like yours that helps me think I'm not being stupid! I have had to tell the app developers about information error relating to alcor's red dwarf companion discovered in 2009, which is now correct in safari 5 and 6. I'm sure they value feedback, provided it's constructive. 

23 minutes ago, Analysis Paralysis said:

Not sure if you saw my edit, but I agree with you :) 

I've asked a question in their support forum and will report back.

1 minute ago, Analysis Paralysis said:

Thank you. It is feedback like yours that helps me think I'm not being stupid! I have had to tell the app developers about information error relating to alcor's red dwarf companion discovered in 2009, which is now correct in safari 5 and 6. I'm sure they value feedback, provided it's constructive. 

SkySafari is developed by a small team and I think they do a fantastic job. Of course, provide feedback where you find errors, but I think it is better to be constructive and not overly critical. They do a great job!

1 minute ago, Stu said:

SkySafari is developed by a small team and I think they do a fantastic job. Of course, provide feedback where you find errors, but I think it is better to be constructive and not overly critical. They do a great job!

Yes, I tend to agree with you. I guess it would not have bothered me so much if it had been some obscure 15th mag double. 

32 minutes ago, Ouroboros said:

14" is what it shows as the separation on version 4.5.3

Well I've just checked my Safari pro 4 on iPad, and very annoyingly, you are correct! It did show the correct separation in an older version. That actually makes it more irritating as there is no reason to change a correct value. Also the left hand column has twice as many combinations of separation for various doubles relating to surrounding stars. Hopefully, a free update can sort it out.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Why do you say that?

EDIT Actually, I see what you mean, let me look into it a bit more.

Dont judge SkySafari too harshly, it is the best app out there bar none.

IMG_5816.PNG

IMG_5817.PNG

Hi Stu, did you see the post from

39 minutes ago, Ouroboros said:

14" is what it shows as the separation on version 4.5.3

I just checked my iOS safety pro 4, and that version shows 14.6". I think this pretty much proves that safari 5 and 6 for some reason have picked up an error.

3 hours ago, Analysis Paralysis said:

Hi Stu, did you see the post from

I just checked my iOS safety pro 4, and that version shows 14.6". I think this pretty much proves that safari 5 and 6 for some reason have picked up an error.

Yep, agreed. Image from 4 Pro

IMG_5818.PNG

8 hours ago, Analysis Paralysis said:

Hi, is that iOS or android version? I may have safari 4 on my iPad. I'm going off to check!

Yes, I'm on an iPad. How does the application produce the separation I wonder? I somehow imagine it does it computationally on the fly from the database of star positions.  Is the position of these stars correct in the problem versions?  If they weren't then this would be sufficient to cause the miscalculation, assuming that's how it does it.  

1 hour ago, Ouroboros said:

Yes, I'm on an iPad. How does the application produce the separation I wonder? I somehow imagine it does it computationally on the fly from the database of star positions.  Is the position of these stars correct in the problem versions?  If they weren't then this would be sufficient to cause the miscalculation, assuming that's how it does it.  

I'm not sure. This is hopefully what the developers will know and be able to correct. 

Just a small point, and I don't think more proof is needed that something's wrong, but: 0.6" with the quoted 31.1AU seperation corresponds to 169 light years, roughly twice the currently accepted distance to  Mizar, which ain't right!

Archived