Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

John Young

Stu

Sad to see John Young has died at the age of 87.

Somehow his name has perhaps not been as well known perhaps as some of the others, but to have flown 6 missions on Gemini, Apollo and the Shuttle, including two missions to the moon and commanding the first Shuttle mission, he has to be right up there with the all time greats.

John Young, US astronaut and pioneer, dies aged 87
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42592057

A long and illustrious life. RIP. Not without a sense of humour though... There is a Youtube Video
where he is warned of being on "Hot Mic" while referring to the unwelcome  nature of "flatulence"
in space (suites?). "Swears off" Citrus Fruit etc! Perhaps the origins of a contemporary phrase? :D

To the question: "Shouldn't the first Columbia flight be flown by "remote control or a CHIMP(!)"?
He allegedly quipped that he was "Quite partial to Bananas..." [as well]? :p 

20 hours ago, Stu said:

Sad to see John Young has died at the age of 87.

Somehow his name has perhaps not been as well known perhaps as some of the others, but to have flown 6 missions on Gemini, Apollo and the Shuttle, including two missions to the moon and commanding the first Shuttle mission, he has to be right up there with the all time greats.

His list of firsts is incredibly impressive, even within his peers.

First astronaut to pilot AND command 4 different classes of spacecraft: Gemini, Apollo CSM, Apollo LEM, and the Shuttle. 

First manned Gemini mission

First (along with Michael Collins) to rendezvous with another space vehicle (Agena)

First man to fly solo around the Moon (CSM pilot on Apollo 10)

Commanded the first Space Shuttle mission

Longest career as an astronaut (42 years with NASA)

One of only three men to have been to the Moon twice (James Lovell and Eugene Cernan are the other two)

One of twelve men to walk on the Moon

His Naval Aviation career is no less impressive, with a total of 15,275 flight hours in prop, jet, rotor, and rocket powered vehicles, and 835 hours of space flight in two Gemini, two Apollo, and two Shuttle missions.

He owns two "time to climb" records in the F4 Phantom.

This guy had the Right Stuff in spades.

27 minutes ago, Luna-tic said:

He owns two "time to climb" records in the F4 Phantom.

The F4 was what I grew up with at air displays; I still remember the noise and vibration going right through me when they flew, low overhead in those days. I saw them do climbs to altitude on a number of occasions and it was hugely impressive. Yet another reason to admire John that I did not know before.

Thank you :) 

https://www.thisdayinaviation.com/tag/world-record-for-time-to-climb-to-a-height-of-25000-meters/

Archived