Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Another clear spell

Pig

Hey it looks like we are in for a cracker of a night sky in Northampton tonight..... it’s about time we have had a run of clear skies. I hope this is the same for many of you. If there are a few of us that fancy a live PM session I am more than happy to take part.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You've noticed the Moon thing too have you!

It is very annoying and uncanny that we have clear skies when there's a fat Moon.

I have our Allen Chapman lecture to go to first. But I will do some imaging when I get back.

LoL..... You should embrace the Moon more, life would not be the same without it..... in addition spending some time finding distant double stars can be quite fun (ok finding might be not be the best terminology when one has a GoTo system but it is still very enjoyable)

As already stated plenty of double stars to observe even when the moon is out. One of my main goals this year is to observe and sketch them, so got off to a good start on 1st January. Supposed to be clear tonight to, so hoping for the best to get some more doubles in Aries. :) 

8 minutes ago, Knighty2112 said:

As already stated plenty of double stars to observe even when the moon is out. One of my main goals this year is to observe and sketch them, so got off to a good start on 1st January. Supposed to be clear tonight to, so hoping for the best to get some more doubles in Aries. :) 

I have a nice list of doubles that Nick (Cotterless) gave me at the last meet we attended. I will have a go at some or all of them later on ?

I am even going to go for a dual set up .... wide field 60mm frac and some high mag with the 110mm frac ?

7 minutes ago, Pig said:

I have a nice list of doubles that Nick (Cotterless) gave me at the last meet we attended. I will have a go at some or all of them later on ?

I am even going to go for a dual set up .... wide field 60mm frac and some high mag with the 110mm frac ?

Sounds like a good set up with the two ‘fracs. Good double hunting. I cheat and use my goto! Hehe! ;) 

3 minutes ago, Knighty2112 said:

Sounds like a good set up with the two ‘fracs. Good double hunting. I cheat and use my goto! Hehe! ;) 

It’s called evolution Gus ?

It's looking decentish here ATM although quite a gusty wind. I'm not knocking the moon because it provided some superb viewing last night. It's going to be behind the trees / houses until the early hours here so there are still some DSO possibilties as well as doubles, open clusters etc.

The dob might get a bit knocked about by the wind so maybe it's another frac night :icon_scratch:

Looks good here, clear no wind and the seeing is reasonably good, the Moon is

up around 22.15 , so a good 3 hours wandering around  Orion before observing 

my favourite target .

Hope it's clear for everyone, going out now.

1 hour ago, Davey-T said:

Looks like it will be a bit chilly up north and a bit damp down here Shaun, good hunting.

Dave

Cheers Dave, I am surprised how warm it is here.... I have had to take my hat and gloves off !! Lovely skies though ?

13 minutes ago, Pig said:

Exactly where my scopes are pointing now..... I cannot see E & F in the trap for the life of me. What kind of mg should I be aiming at ?

Try a range Shaun, maybe x130 to x180 in the 110mm? E should be quite doable in your scope providing the seeing is good.

I am at relatives in Herefordshire again and it’s clearish, some cloud, but a truly dark sky.

Only my trusty 10x50’s but wow, amazing again.

So much fun cruising the Milkyway, M31, wow so much better with binocular than eyeball from last time.

Its all very damp and cold, but will dip in and out before moon rise.

1 minute ago, Stu said:

Try a range Shaun, maybe x130 to x180 in the 110mm? E should be quite doable in your scope providing the seeing is good.

Cheers Stu..... just having a quick coffee in the shed ? I will give it a go in a short while.

Just now, geordie85 said:

Lovely and clear here too but very windy and cold. I'm busy sitting I'm my car in the middle of nowhere while my new (to me) canon 6d snaps away at M45.

Get out there and look up!!

9 minutes ago, Pig said:

Cheers Stu..... just having a quick coffee in the shed ? I will give it a go in a short while.

Good stuff, I regularly glimpse E in the 4" so you should be able to a little more easily. Once you see it, it will be easier to get again.

2 minutes ago, geordie85 said:

I was till I lost the feeling in my hands. A quick warm up and browse on here then I'll be back out, looking up until I'm numb again 

Good stuff, glad you've got nice clear skies, and somewhere to warm up!

Clear, breezy, not too cold but slightly damp onshore wind here - Scarborough.  Just took a couple of quick 15 sec exposures with the 450d of orion etc. First astronomy ive done for ages.   

Archived