SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Impossible to answer?

As the title says, I'm not expecting anyone to know this, but does anyone know what scope the Ayer's Rock Astronomy club used back in 1998, to show visitors the night sky. I think it was a 9.25 or 11 inch SCT, but it my memory isn't that good.  Why am I asking this now? Well, I'm currently deciding on a compact scope for sharp planetary  views and I remember being very impressed with how sharp, big and detailed Saturn looked through that scope! If I could duplicate that , I'd be well happy! 

Can anyone surprise me!?

Thanks

Mark

25 minutes ago, Analysis Paralysis said:

No, that would have been far too logical! ? I'll send them a message

Well I tried to find an email address but no luck. However, there is a photo of someone looking through an SCT that looks very like the one I looked through. Assuming they never replaced it in 20 years, and measuring the ratio of scope width to finder which, giving 5.5, and assuming finder is 30 or 50 mm, aperture would be either 165 mm or 275 mm. The latter is 11.1 inches. Since I don't think it was as small as a C6, I would conclude 11 inch SCT. This night explain the wonderful Saturn view, although it was pitch black and probably superb seeing! Making this assumption, and having read how the latest 8 inch SCT edge outperformed a normal 11 inch SCT in one side by side in Jupiter and Saturn, makes me look with interest at the 8 inch edge....

Archived