Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Rattler

Laptop suitable for control and image processing

Should be fine for control but for stacking I think the graphicscard might lack on heavy duty.

Depends which programs you are going to use as well.

The details don't show if there are more than 1 USB connection. Don't forget to buy a USB-hub when it would only be 1 connection for USB as you will need more than 1 obviously :)

Ok cheers. Anything you would recommend? I could go upto around £400 for a refurbed laptop.

Change of plan. Im going to use a cheap laptop for the control and my Mrs' gaming desktop for processing.

Sounds like a good plan, but as said above make sure you have at least 3 USB ports on any laptop you buy.

Carole 

10 hours ago, carastro said:

Sounds like a good plan, but as said above make sure you have at least 3 USB ports on any laptop you buy.

Carole 

Yeah will do. Thanks.

For the last 6 years I have been using a vista laptop for imaging and it has worked perfectly fine.  I was reluctant to change it as everything was working OK on it.  I did then start to introduce a reconditioned windows 7 laptop, as a back-up for when the vista gave up the ghost, but they are both working just fine.  

It's processing that you really need a better PC for.

Carole 

I don't want to start new topic, so I'll ask here. Is there something to prevent LCD from freezing? I have a Dell E6400 and after quarter of an hour in low temperatures (-3°C is enough) LCD starts to to display incorrectly.

2018011406.jpg201801ymy.jpg

Edited by Giftmacher

5 hours ago, Giftmacher said:

I don't want to start new topic, so I'll ask here. Is there something to prevent LCD from freezing? I have a Dell E6400 and after quarter of an hour in low temperatures (-3°C is enough) LCD starts to to display incorrectly.

2018011406.jpg201801ymy.jpg

I'm assuming this isn't a LED screen? IME LED screens work quite well in the cold. My Lenovo X220 with LED screen works fine for hours at -10C.

You could try to cover the rear of the screen with some insulation (build a hood from a foam sleeping mat, perhaps) and put a chemical hand warmer between screen and insulation.

On 22. 1. 2018 at 11:50, martinl said:

I'm assuming this isn't a LED screen? IME LED screens work quite well in the cold. My Lenovo X220 with LED screen works fine for hours at -10C.

You could try to cover the rear of the screen with some insulation (build a hood from a foam sleeping mat, perhaps) and put a chemical hand warmer between screen and insulation.

Thanks, I'll try that. Maybe I will also make a heater from kanthal wire.