SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Sky-Watcher AZ GTI tracking

Miguel1983

Thanks for the feedback guys. I was loathe to open it myself within days of receiving it and invalidate any warranty and return option. Yes, I'd seen the Youtube videos, but it seemed like a straight case of "this should never have passed QC, so it should be replaced".  I was actually hoping that on seeing my email (with video) I was going to be returning the faulty unit and receiving a replacement by return of post. That way I would have lost very little usable time with the new telescope. 

Adam, you make a very interesting point that I'm probably better-off with a knowledgeable bit of maintenance being done rather than taking pot-luck with a replacement.

I hadn't seen it that way originally. Having waited so many weeks to receive the scope, the prospect of the mount disappearing for days or possibly weeks was unappealing (at the time)!   As luck would have it, the skies have been particularly bad since the collection of the AZ GTi last Monday 7th, so I haven't missed much. Perhaps I am better off if the news is "we've taken a look and made adjustments" - For most equipment that's not what you want to hear, maybe in the case of this Skywatcher AZ GTi model the TLC after manufacturing is better. 😀
In the end though, it is unfair on the retailer to pick up the cost. If Skywatcher got lots of returns they might attend to their QC problems, which would be good for us, good for the retailers and better for Skywatcher.

Any thoughts on the relative stiffness of the AZ axis? Similarly the many turns of the AZ clutch knob...

Quoting my original detail:-
Final question: would owners of this mount confirm that the EL-clutch is nice and smooth and progressive in use, but the AZ-clutch is still quite stiff, even when slackened? I thought the small knob for controlling the AZ-clutch had a very unconvincing feel. Too many turns to tighten and too many to loosen. It's as if there is an enormous dead-band between tight and a bit slack.

Robin

Edited by Robin B

I had a final thought, more of an industrial design quibble on the battery compartment...
There's that rather awkward bit of wiring between the caddy for the batteries and the mount housing. We have a couple of wildlife "trail cameras" and although they both come from different companies, they both use a form of wire-free battery caddy which snuggly slides in and out and uses sprung contacts to make the connection - no difficult wire to position correctly. Is a wire attached to a PP3-style connector what Skywatcher use throughout their mount range?

e.g.
BatteryCaddy.thumb.jpg.2af351b3018f7b93ac56ef2aa083b15a.jpg

Oh dear that's reminded me of a power question. There's nothing in the manual about whether you can leave the batteries in the mount and plug into external power.

Imagine you like to go equipped with the hope of having some mains within reach, but you want to be prepared in case there isn't. I've seen the powertank type options, but there's a limit to how many accessories I want to buy. I've already received a 15mm EP, barlow and moon filter through the post, from the same supplier, just a day or two after returning the mount... such is the fun of ordering when there isn't stock!

If I was practising with the mount and automation at my desk I'd like to plug in a 12V mains supply, but do I need to go removing and reinserting batteries all of the time.

This may be something I can work out with a multi-meter when I get the mount back, but I guess there will be knowledge here 🙂 

• 1 month later...
On 15/12/2020 at 09:37, Robin B said:

I had a final thought, more of an industrial design quibble on the battery compartment...
There's that rather awkward bit of wiring between the caddy for the batteries and the mount housing. We have a couple of wildlife "trail cameras" and although they both come from different companies, they both use a form of wire-free battery caddy which snuggly slides in and out and uses sprung contacts to make the connection - no difficult wire to position correctly. Is a wire attached to a PP3-style connector what Skywatcher use throughout their mount range?

e.g.
BatteryCaddy.thumb.jpg.2af351b3018f7b93ac56ef2aa083b15a.jpg

Oh dear that's reminded me of a power question. There's nothing in the manual about whether you can leave the batteries in the mount and plug into external power.

Imagine you like to go equipped with the hope of having some mains within reach, but you want to be prepared in case there isn't. I've seen the powertank type options, but there's a limit to how many accessories I want to buy. I've already received a 15mm EP, barlow and moon filter through the post, from the same supplier, just a day or two after returning the mount... such is the fun of ordering when there isn't stock!

If I was practising with the mount and automation at my desk I'd like to plug in a 12V mains supply, but do I need to go removing and reinserting batteries all of the time.

This may be something I can work out with a multi-meter when I get the mount back, but I guess there will be knowledge here 🙂 

Hi Robin, have you had any progress on getting your mount back yet. Regarding your power option for the mount, I use a talent cell 12v rechargeable battery pack, this was suggested by another member on here in another post. I've only used my set up once so far but I have to say the talent cell pack was great, it was very cold and the battery ran well though I was only using it for 2 hours but it would of lasted much much longer. I would if got a larger power tank but I wanted easy portability and this fitted the bill. Clear skies 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B072HR211P/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_OX-cGbFGQR4AG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by LeeHore7