Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Planetary nebulae

ZiHao

Hi all,

Clear night sky forecast today (just partly cloudy :) ), waited for weeks. Gonna try out Eskimo nebula tonight for my first time, due to its high concentrated surface brightness, about 6.8 . Is it count as a easy target to observe under a sub-urban night sky with a 6 inch reflector?( but it is worth to give a try whether it is difficult or not). Or maybe just observe some bright cluster, M35,36,37,38,as all of them are recommended in Turn Left At Orion, these are all my first time. I just got M42,45,31 in my list, and some other clusters I don't remember, a beginner who like to use go-to and slew around the universe looking for some clusters, and don't know where he is pointing at, this is me in 2017 lol...

Clear Skies

I've seen the Eskimo in a 150p under relatively bright suburban skies, well worth giving it a go.

The Auriga clusters (M36, 37 and 38) are lovely, well worth seeking out, as is 35. Let us know how you get on.

4 hours ago, Stu said:

I've seen the Eskimo in a 150p under relatively bright suburban skies, well worth giving it a go.

The Auriga clusters (M36, 37 and 38) are lovely, well worth seeking out, as is 35. Let us know how you get on.

Agree with Stu. Under your suburban sky, the central disk of the Eskimo should be visible, the outer shell (forming the namegiving "hood") may be tricky without a nebula filter (UHC/O III). M 35 is easy to find and gives a great look; try to spot the cluster NGC 2158 directly adjacent to the west; it's dense appearance shows a nice contrast to the loose M 35. Nice clusters are the Double Cluster between Cassiopeia and Perseus, the Owl/E. T. cluster  NGC 457 in Cassiopeia, and NGC 7789 , "Caroline's Rose". And, at your location in Malaysia, the rather bright and dense galaxy  M 77 is just at zenith 21.00 local time.  Good luck; and: "Give it a go, and let us know"!

Stephan

Archived