SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

m38

alacant

Hi everyone. Hardly any images here so far this year. Here's my first effort. Still can't get any blue in the stars. Maybe there aren't any blue stars and anyway I think I've overdone the noise blur layer. Not awfully inspiring I must admit, but as they say over here, algo es algo. So c'mon guys, show us what you've been imaging.

canon 700d on bresser nt150l, 1 hour

36.thumb.jpg.e7f3e4f988090b50d7b67d2756819c20.jpg

11 minutes ago, PeterCPC said:

I can see blue in the stars.

Ah, thanks Peter. I wonder if it's my screen? Somehow, it always looks better on other folk's tablets or 'phones. The grass is always greener bluer? Must have a look...

25 minutes ago, alacant said:

Hi everyone. Hardly any images here so far this year. Here's my first effort. Still can't get any blue in the stars. Maybe there aren't any blue stars and anyway I think I've overdone the noise blur layer. Not awfully inspiring I must admit, but as they say over here, algo es algo. So c'mon guys, show us what you've been imaging.

canon 700d on bresser nt150l, 1 hour

Looks good.  Nice sharp focus and a lovely FOV.

I can see blue on my MacBook Pro (retina screen), although it isn't popping out, it is there.

I can see the presumed blue stars as white... Maybe red pushed a bit too long masks blue ? On my recent 1st try at this target I refrained from saturating colors too much, and I got stars less red and more blue-white (on my own mostly-color-calibrated viewing devices)

3 hours ago, rotatux said:

I can see the presumed blue stars as white

Yeah, thanks. That's how I see them. Just looked on an iPad, and they're blue. Impossible. This seems so device sensitive it's hardly worth balancing colour. Give up!

52 minutes ago, alacant said:

Yeah, thanks. That's how I see them. Just looked on an iPad, and they're blue. Impossible. This seems so device sensitive it's hardly worth balancing colour. Give up!

Either way there is a lovely contrast of colours there, and it is a well framed and focused image, so in all a definite keeper.

This is what processing is for. I'd have a look at the B-V values for the stars in your image and work on the colour balance accordingly. If the background is neutral (R and G and B at parity) and the star colours accord with the astrophysics (B-V) I don't see how you can go too far wrong. Although I don't use it, PI has a routine for doing colour balance this way.

Olly

2 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

(R and G and B at parity

Had a go with this one although I'd conclude that the monitor used to view the image seems to be far more of a limiting factor than I had previously realised, particularly it seems with blue. Of the screens I've tried, iPads are clear winners.

Cheers and clear skies from Alicante.

EDIT: Just tried a Microsoft surface pro. Yes please!

On 05/01/2018 at 10:59, alacant said:

algo es algo

I have discovered Spanish memes...

Have you tried colour balancing your monitor?

Also I had terrible, terrible problems until I made sure every program I use uses the same colour and gamma profile.

4 hours ago, alacant said:

Hi. Is that the grey-scale thing you adjust?

Yes but part of the story: this one only handles monochrome gamma and black/white points of the display. You have to use something that will let you calibrate colors also.

Searching "color gamma calibration images" gives things such as http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/DSLR/cal/MonitorCal.gif
or http://www.normankoren.com/GammaRGB.jpg
or http://www.ballisticpublishing.com/call_for_entries/colour_calibrate_gama2_2.jpg

That's typically what I use to grossly calibrate my displays (that is, unless the display is definitely reluctant to displaying correct colors, such as mine at work).

Archived