Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25_winners.thumb.jpg.fe4e711c64054f3c9486c752d0bcd6f2.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
Rickwal68

Tracking

So having eventually alined with the above with my 300 p flex az goto I now need to know how to track things the instructions are sketchy to say the least

advise very welcome thanks

Once you have found your target using the handset the mount should then start tracking. The handset also has the facility to select the tracking speed, sidereal, solar or lunar, sidereal is the default.

Rick,

you should be able to practice this indoors or in the garage (you don't need the sky ) during the daytime.

get the scope setup and access the settings on the handset.

On Celestron scopes there is a setting for "tracking" - make sure it is set to "sidereal" , the default may be "off"? (Looking in the synscan manual below I do not see this, maybe skywatcher do not support multiple tracking rates? I don't know)

But you should be able to perform a fake "brightest star" alignment (called one star alignment on Celestron handsets). Just choosestar name and click "ok". The scope will be none the wiser and will accept your inputs as fact.

- once you complete the fake align then the scope should go immediately into tracking mode (by itself! As long as you have the setting right in the handset).

- put your ear to the scope and you should hear the motors working. The scope is moving at the same speed as the earth rotates (very very slow) so you would need to leave it running for an hour to see any noticeable movement of the scope.

if you can see outside then you can also get your finder aligned to the scope (use a distant tree, chimney or tv aerial). Don't leave this job to be done in the dark, it will be so much harder to do (read the manual, it should have a section on "aligning the finder scope")

finally, you should also be able to practice using the scope in the daytime. Using the focuser and changing the eyepieces etc. All this practice in the daytime will make the first night out much simpler.

Here is a link to the manual

en_download_caty01335568752.pdf

Looks like page 13 is the one. The longitude/latitude settings for Rotherham are 53.4326° N, 1.3635° W.

Alan

Edited by alanjgreen

3 minutes ago, Mike Oliver said:

I may be wrong but shouldn't the details be entered as degrees, minutes and seconds?

For Synscan handsets the co-ordinates are entered as degrees and minutes and not decimal GPS decimal units. The seconds part is also rounded up or down. 

May I ask which mount are you using? As I know, most of mounts start tracking automatically once you are done focusing on the target.