Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Atik Cameras looking to buy QSI assets.

FLO

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, swag72 said:

I really hope that they keep the two brands separate - Like Toyota and Lexus, or Nissan and Infiniti.

Why?  So QSI owners can continue to feel special? :angel12: 

Joking aside, I think it depends on Atik's longterm plans. Their cameras and accessories have been improving incrementally for a number of years, I think it is clear they are heading for the premium market. If they do acquire QSI's camera designs (perhaps they have patents) I can see how that would suit them very well. 

I don't know, I am only speculating. 

Steve (drives a Toyota) 

1 minute ago, FLO said:

Why?  So QSI owners can continue to feel special :angel12: 

Joking aside, I think it depends on Atik's longterm plans. Their cameras and accessories have been improving incrementally for a number of years, I think it is clear they are heading for the premium market. If they do acquire QSI's camera designs (perhaps they have patents) I can see how that would suit them very well. 

I don't know, I am only speculating. 

Steve (drives a Toyota) 

I can assure you that its not about feeling special...... But compared to Atik the QSI is a premium brand.... an all in one solution if you like where you don't need to bolt on accessories such as OAG's.... where everything is about as plug and play as you can get. It will be a shame if that brilliant design is lost. 

I'm not fussed whether I buy an Atik or a QSI, but the QSi design is undoubtedly a different and easier solution that the Atik..... I read on the EFW threads for example with Atik, people worrying about back spacing and whether they can fit on an OAG etc..... this simply isn't an issue with the QSI as they are now.

I am not bashing Atik at all Steve, neither am I being a gear snob as has been suggested to me in the past, but it would be a shame to lose such an easy product to use.... that was my point.

Oh and I drive a SEAT.... I think that's a down market Volkswagen :) 

The main reason I've got QSI ( got 2 Atiks as well ) is because my Atiks struggle to get cool in the summer whereas the QSIs fly down to minus 20 /30 even indoors with the central heating on.

Maybe Atik could incorporate the QSI cooling in their cameras.

Also the integrated QSI filter wheel and guider are nice.

Driving 2000 Renault Kangoo, can't afford a new car as all money spent on astro' kit :grin:

Dave

1 minute ago, swag72 said:

I can assure you that its not about feeling special...... But compared to Atik the QSI is a premium brand.... an all in one solution if you like where you don't need to bolt on accessories such as OAG's.... where everything is about as plug and play as you can get. It will be a shame if that brilliant design is lost. 

I agree. A fully integrated solution will always be more convenient and QSI did them very well. 

3 minutes ago, swag72 said:

My wife misses her Seat Leon, she had the previous generation whizzy FR model. 

Steve 

Just now, Davey-T said:

The main reason I've got QSI ( got 2 Atiks as well ) is because my Atiks struggle to get cool in the summer whereas the QSIs fly down to minus 20 /30 even indoors with the central heating on.

Maybe Atik could incorporate the QSI cooling in their cameras.

Also the integrated QSI filter wheel and guider are nice.

Driving 2000 Renault Kangoo, can't afford a new car as all money spent on astro' kit :grin:

Dave

They do Dave.  My 16200 goes to -50, and the One series has built in FW and OAG add on, but of course they are also nothing like the cost of QSI, which to be fair do look very nice indeed.

Drives Mrs mad :icon_biggrin:

9 minutes ago, swag72 said:

I'm not fussed whether I buy an Atik or a QSI, but the QSi design is undoubtedly a different and easier solution that the Atik..... I read on the EFW threads for example with Atik, people worrying about back spacing and whether they can fit on an OAG etc..... this simply isn't an issue with the QSI as they are now.

I am not bashing Atik at all Steve, neither am I being a gear snob as has been suggested to me in the past, but it would be a shame to lose such an easy product to use.... that was my point.

You're spot on with the OAG Sara.  I have the 16200 which would generally be used on a larger OTA as it is a very large sensor, and just getting the brand new EFW3, but I can't use the Atik "matching" OAG as it won't work on my Esprit with the SW flattener. 

They need to rethink there.

1 minute ago, RayD said:

You're spot on with the OAG Sara.  I have the 16200 which would generally be used on a larger OTA as it is a very large sensor, and just getting the brand new EFW3, but I can't use the Atik "matching" OAG as it won't work on my Esprit with the SW flattener. 

They need to rethink there.

That was exactly my point Ray....... nothing about brand snobbery or such things.

This is promising news.. It would be such a waste for QSI to just disappear, they are a thing of beauty. I'm almost drawn to stroke it, as its so nice. However mine died, I can still admire & stroke it.. but it no longer purrs :D...  maybe there's hope I'll be able to get it fixed "Locally" now... to purr once more :crybaby2:

Having also had 3 Atiks for some years now & only suffering my first failure with one just before Xmas, the score is Atik 2.95 & QSI nil with me at the moment. It also only has to go "down the road" to get fixed.

Ooh & yes.. I drive an eleven year old Micra.. before that I had Audi's. I just realised that a single service cost for my last Audi (which was 2 & a half years old at the time) 11 years ago, was the same cost as the last 4 years of servicing & MOT's for the Micra!!

Got conformation earlier (Thanks FLO) of shipping for my ZWO 1600MM Pro to hopefully allow me to finish some of my projects started with the QSI. It would have been an Atik Horizon if the price had been competitive & the backspacing had a chance of working with 1.25 Astrodon filters.

I don't think brand snobbery will protect any company in the niche amateur astro market?

I really like this news. Unlike some people I'm not prone to worship at the door of QSI. I host/have hosted a fair few QSIs and they have not proved themselves to be trouble free. Sorry, but not by a long way. Nor did the old QSI strike me as being blinding lights in customer service. Not in Atik's league on that score. Two of my guests had to fight for the best part of two years before QSI accepted that their camera had a problem. But there was/is a lot to like about QSI cameras and this strikes me as being a marriage made in heaven. It might mean that a QSI once belonging to an esteemed guest, but which has a serious banding problem, might again see the light of night and that would be great. I can't imagine a better scenario for the continuation of QSI.

Olly

18 minutes ago, sloz1664 said:

At this rate I'll be putting in an offer for the QSI assets :)

I'd put in a counter bid but I'm more at home with steam. All those damned electrons rushing about like drug-crazed mice. With steam you know where you are. You put it on the heat, forget about it and then scald your backside. I can live with that...

Olly

26 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

I really like this news. Unlike some people I'm not prone to worship at the door of QSI. I host/have hosted a fair few QSIs and they have not proved themselves to be trouble free. Sorry, but not by a long way. Nor did the old QSI strike me as being blinding lights in customer service. Not in Atik's league on that score. Two of my guests had to fight for the best part of two years before QSI accepted that their camera had a problem. But there was/is a lot to like about QSI cameras and this strikes me as being a marriage made in heaven. It might mean that a QSI once belonging to an esteemed guest, but which has a serious banding problem, might again see the light of night and that would be great. I can't imagine a better scenario for the continuation of QSI.

Olly

Isn't it interesting people's take on different companies and customer service....... My experience with the US QSI customer service was nothing short of excellent. They even sent me a loan camera to use while my QSI was being fixed..... On the other hand there is another company that people are prone to sing praises of and I rate their customer service as bordering on rude and indifferent.... 

Horses for courses I guess, but a join up with Atik is an exciting prospect for sure :) 

Archived